I may erect a statue to honor this vegan mac and cheese!
Okay, you’re probably asking yourself right now, “what on earth is vegan mushroom Stroganoff mac and cheese?” Well, the answer to that question is something more delicious than you can possibly imagine! A beyond creamy cross between the most amazing vegan macaroni and cheese and the most perfect vegan mushroom Stroganoff. Flavors from both classic dishes somehow make one of the most mind-blowing things I’ve eaten… ever.
There is literally no way to mess this vegan mushroom Stroganoff mac and cheese up. Boil pasta, easy. Saute mushrooms, garlic and onions, cool. Whisk together a few ingredients for the best sauce of all time, no problem! Combine everything and you’re done!
I added elements of a classic vegan mac and cheese sauce and a veganized Stroganoff sauce. I honestly wasn’t sure what would happen, but I really can’t think of the right words to describe how incredible this is. The words may not even exist in the English language. You just really need to try it for yourself.
This recipe takes no time to whip up, but the cravings for it will last forever. So, you will probably just have to keep it on your regular dinner rotation. After the first time I made it, my husband asked me to make it again immediately.
Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff Mac and Cheese
- 12 Ounces Macaroni, regular or gluten free
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 20 Ounces Mushrooms, sliced (I used Baby bellas)
- 1/2 a Sweet onion, chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups Vegetable broth
- 8 Ounces Vegan cream cheese, I used Trader Joe's
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut aminos
- 2 Tablespoons Nutritional yeast
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 Teaspooon Fresh thyme, just the leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook your macaroni according to package directions. Drain when the macaroni is done.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet on medium high.
- Then add the sliced mushrooms, chopped onion and garlic to the skillet. Saute, reducing heat as needed until the mushrooms have released their liquid and they are nice and brown. This will take about 8-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the mushrooms, garlic and onions with a pinch of salt and pepper. Then remove them from the skillet and put them in a bowl. Set aside for a minute.
- Now, add the vegetable broth, vegan cream cheese, coconut aminos, nutritional yeast, Dijon mustard, thyme, and a pinch of salt and pepper to the skillet. Heat the skillet on medium.
- Stir to start melting the vegan cream cheese. Then whisk to combine everything once the vegan cream cheese has melted. Whisk until smooth.
- Reduce heat to medium low, simmer, whisking frequently for about 5 minutes to thicken the sauce a little.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
- Next, add the mushrooms, onions and garlic back to the skillet, and stir to combine them with the sauce.
- Now, add the macaroni to the skillet. Toss to coat the macaroni in the sauce.
- Serve immediately with fresh cracked pepper.