One of the biggest complaints I hear from people trying to permanently adopt a vegan diet, is that they can’t cook or bake, and there are no ready made options for them. So they fall of the wagon because they crave something and can’t make it themselves. Well, I want to change that. As well as my more advanced recipes, I really want to start working on lots of options for those who either don’t know how to cook or bake, or just don’t have the time. This is one of those recipes. I have been brainstorming about things anyone can make, even with a tiny kitchen or a college kid trying to stick to a vegan life living in a dorm room. This takes five minutes, anyone can do it, and all you need is a microwave.
Chocolate is my weakness, my kryptonite. I have to set myself up for success, and that is knowing, I need something a little sweet after dinner. That can be fruit or something really healthy, but sometimes I just need some chocolate cake. I need a quick healthy option, so I don’t have a serious craving and go really crazy and eat something that will make me feel sick and regret all of my decisions! I know myself and my body and brain, and how they work together, and sometimes the best idea for me is to have plan. A plan for the times that I really, really need chocolate!
Not only is this a super moist and fluffy cake, I took it up a notch by adding some dark chocolate to the center, and when your spoon dives into the middle of this amazing cake, you get an extra special treat, with a beautiful lava flow of dark sweet goodness. I can’t tell you what a dream come true this is for me, I have been dying for a quick luscious dessert that will satisfy any craving. Plant based and refined sugar free, this is something to enjoy and not feel guilty about. I threw some vegan vanilla ice cream on top, and holy crap, your taste buds will never know this was a five minute vegan dessert! You literally mix everything in a mug, throw it into the microwave for a couple of minutes, and out pops magic, I swear, it must be magic!
I dare you to find an easier dessert! I would like to also suggest that it is one of the best chocolate cakes as well. I was just glad I decided to make this a single serving, because I would have eaten more! This also takes me back to my single days living by myself and trying to figure out how to make fantastic meals for one. Here is a good way to take care of yourself, have your cake!!! I hope you enjoy! Adapted from The Food Network.
Vegan Molten Chocolate Mug Cake
- Prep Time: 3m
- Cook Time: 2m
- Total Time: 5m
- Serves: 1 perspn
- Yield: 1 mug cake
- Category: Dessert
- 2 tbsp. Vegan butter( I use Earth Balance)
- 3 tbsp. Coconut cream ( I use Trader Joe’s)
- 1 Flax egg ( 2Tbsp. Flax meal+3 Tbsp. water=1 egg)
- 3 tbsp. All purpose flour
- 4 tbsp. Coconut sugar or other sweetener of choice
- 2 tbsp. Cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 oz Dark chocolate
- Make your flax egg and set aside.
- In a large mug, melt the vegan butter in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds. Let cool just a bit and stir in the coconut cream and flax egg. Make sure it is combined well.
- Stir in the flour and sweetener. Then stir in the cocoa, salt and vanilla.
- In the center of the batter, place a 1 oz. chunk of dark chocolate(or more if you want)
- Microwave for 2-2 1/2 minutes. I ended up doing about 2 minutes and 15 seconds. Throw some vegan ice cream or vegan whipped cream on top and enjoy!