Creamy tomatillo sauce? Check. Protein packed? Check. Crazy delicious? Check.
Have you ever had enchiladas suizas? They are so scrumptious. I used to eat them often when I was just a vegetarian, most of the time you can get enchiladas filled with cheese or beans. I have been craving the sauce recently. It is a creamy tomatillo sauce, and it is EVERYTHING! I decided I would go on a mission to try to make my own vegan enchilada suizas!
I filled them with black beans that I mashed slightly and some vegan cheese. Then I topped the enchiladas with a creamy tomatillo sauce and more vegan cheese. I used full fat coconut milk to mimic the heavy cream that is normally used. It has great flavor and doesn’t taste like coconut, it just complements all the other flavors very well!
This recipe tastes just like I remember authentic enchilada suizas tasting! It also only takes about 30 minutes to make! The sauce is super simple and one of the best sauces I have ever tasted! I am very proud of this recipe! For good reason.
The sauce is a combination of tomatillos, peppers, onion, cilantro, garlic and lime pureed really quickly. Then all you have to do is cook it down in a sauce pan for a few minutes, then add coconut cream! It is so damn good. The filling is a 60 second process of mashing some black beans adding some salt and pepper, then vegan cheese! BAM! Enchilada time!
Roll the black bean and vegan cheese mixture into tortillas of your choice. Top with the the sauce and more vegan cheese. Then just bake for about 10-15 minutes, and you are ready for your new favorite meal. I like to throw more cilantro on top and if you are feeling saucy, vegan sour cream and maybe some hot sauce! Oh yeah! This vegan enchilada suizas is: So. Damn. Good.
Vegan Enchilada Suizas
Creamy Tomatillo Sauce
- 6 Small Tomatillos(peeled), halved
- 1/4 C. Onion, chopped
- 1/2 a Poblano pepper, seeds removed
- 1 Serrano pepper, seeds removed
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1/4 C. Cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/3 C. Coconut milk, full fat
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Enchiladas
- 6 Tortillas
- 1 1/2 Cans. Black beans(about 22oz.), drained
- 3/4 C. Vegan cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black pepper
- More vegan cheese for topping(optional)
- More cilantro for topping(optional)
- Make the sauce. Add all of the ingredients to a blender except the coconut cream and salt and pepper.
- Blend on high for a minute or so until pretty smooth but still has a little texture. Scraping down the sides of the blender as needed. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Blend. Once the sauce is smooth, pour into a small sauce pan.
- Heat the sauce on medium high until it comes to a simmer, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low. Now add the coconut milk. Stir to combine. Simmer for about 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly. Taste and adjust seasoning. Remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Now make the filling. In a medium sized mixing bowl, smash the black beans with a fork or potato masher. Leaving a little texture. Season with salt and pepper. Stir. Then stir in the vegan cheese.
- Now divide the filling evenly between 6 tortillas, placing the filling in the center, and rolling the tortilla up. Place each enchilada seam side down into a prepared baking dish. Placing each right up against the previous one.
- Now pour the sauce over the enchiladas, sprinkle with more vegan cheese and bake at 375 degrees for about 10-12 minutes or until the cheese has melted(as much as it can) and the tortillas are browned a bit and piping hot!
- Serve immediately with cilantro, vegan sour cream or hot sauce!