I have been drooling over poke cakes for a while now. I have been dreaming about those super moist super easy decadent desserts, and for some reason, it just dawned on me. I can have everything I want. Even as a vegan. Isn’t that kind of the point of what I am doing with my life?
This vegan death by chocolate poke cake is literally the ultimate proof that vegans can have it all. No one will know this is any different than any other cake, but hey, no animals were harmed in the making! This easy, amazing vegan chocolate cake is so fluffy. Then pour over some homemade vegan chocolate sweetened condensed milk. Followed by a topping of vegan chocolate whipped topping. It is the greatest!
This is such a quick and simple cake that will feed a crowd. I do enjoy making layer cakes, but they are always so nerve racking. This takes all the stress out of making a cake. A single layer that can be served right out of the baking dish.
The method is also pretty fool proof. Just let the cake cool for a bit, poke some holes, pour over the sweetened condensed milk and then once the cake has cooled completely, just smooth some vegan whip over the whole thing. Then you are ready to serve. This cake is so decadent and delicious. Once the condensed milk has cooled, it creates a fudge like interior. So you get fluffy, fudgey and creamy. I would have to say that the name death by chocolate is totally appropriate.
This cake is great for any occasion, but I love to make it for get togethers. It’s a great way to feed a crowd, and everyone will love it! I have never seen anyone take a bite of this poke cake without exclaiming “Oh.My.God.”! So I hope you enjoy!
Vegan Death By Chocolate Poke Cake
Vegan Chocolate Cake
- 2 C. All purpose flour
- 1/2 C. Cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 C. Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 1 1/4 C. Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. Brewed coffee
- 1 1/2 C. Almond, soy or coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. Apple cider vinegar
Vegan Chocolate Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 C. Coconut milk, full fat
- 3 Tbsp. Maple syrup
- 2 oz. Dark chocolate, vegan about 1/4 cup
Vegan Chocolate Whipped Topping
- 1 9oz. Tub Vegan whipped topping, I used So Delicious
- 1/3 C. Cocoa powder
Make the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the vegan butter and sugar with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer. Once combined and fluffy, add the vanilla and coffee. Beat together. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the almond milk or other milk with the apple cider vinegar. Stir. Let sit for a minute until it thickens. Then begin adding the dry ingredients and milk mixture to the butter/sugar mixture. Alternating between the milk and dry ingredients until everything is combined.
- Pour into a prepared 9x13 inch baking dish. Smooth out, and bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Make the Chocolate Sweetened Condensed Milk
- While the cake is baking, make the sweetened condensed milk. In a small sauce pan, heat the coconut milk on medium high until it comes to a boil. Add the maple syrup and whisk together. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 20 minutes until the mixture has reduce by almost half. Stir in the chocolate, and whisk until chocolate has melted. Simmer for another minute or two until the mixture looks nice and thick and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Once cake is done, let cool for about 20-30 minutes. Then poke holes along the entire cake(see picture) with the handle of a wooden spoon. Pour the chocolate sweetened condensed milk over the hole cake and smooth out to make sure all the holes are filled with milk. Let cool for at least 2 hours.
- Once the cake it completely cool, in a mixing bowl, whisk together the vegan whipped topping and cocoa powder. Pour over the cake, and smooth out evenly. Cut and serve!