Guys, do you know what is f#$@*ing delicious? Crunchy french toast. Have you ever tried anything like this? My mom used to make us french toast when we were kids, she would make a custard like dip for the bread like you normally do, but then she would coat the bread in crushed up cereal! Oh. My. God. If you have never tried this, do it! My vegan version of crunchy french toast is much healthier, but just as amazing as I remembered!
The act of dipping the bread into the custard makes it luscious, moist and creamy inside. The act of coating in a crunchy cereal makes the outside, once cooked, crispy and caramelizes the outside from cooking the sugar in the cereal! All this together makes for a perfect flavor and texture contrast. Top with maple syrup or powdered sugar…and damn!
The custard is vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free. So if you want to make this completely gluten free, that would be super easy, just use gluten free bread and most corn cereals are gluten free as well! This will also contain very little sugar, and that will be your decision on what kind of cereal you want to get. This 9 ingredient, healthy(ish) breakfast also only takes about 10 minutes from start to finish!
All right guys, this is fool proof, fast and the best french toast of all time. You probably should make this this weekend. Brunch? Yes! Or dinner? Sure, whatever. I love me some brinner! I am quite certain breakfast food is my favorite and what I crave like 90% of the time. How about you? Add this to your list of the top breakfast foods of all time!
- 1 1/4 C. Almond milk
- 2 Tbsp. Flax meal
- 3 Tbsp. Water
- 1/4 C. Apple sauce
- 1/4 C. Maple syrup
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 6-8 Slices of bread, gluten free or regular
- 3 C. Corn flake cereal, vegan. I used Trader Joe's Frosted flakes
- Non stick spray
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add the almond milk.
- Make a flax egg, by mixing together the flax and water, set aside for a minute to thicken.
- Add flax egg and remaining custard ingredients to the almond milk, whisk everything until fully combined.
- Heat non stick skillet or griddle on medium high.
- On a plate, crush the cereal pretty fine, but so it still has nice texture, with a cup or your hand.
- Dip a slice of bread into the custard until saturated, then press into the crushed cereal on the plate, flip and crust the other side. Make sure each side is fully crusted with cereal.
- Spray the pan or griddle with non stick spray, and place bread into pan. Cook each side for about 2 minutes until cooked through and crunchy on the outside.
- Repeat with all the bread you plan to make.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup or powdered sugar!
- This will be enough custard for 6 to 8 pieces of bread, so you can make as many as you want. I think 2 slices per person is a good amount!
- You can make this completely gluten free by using gluten free bread and finding a gluten free corn flake cereal(most are, just check the back)