Here’s the deal, these are literally one of the most addictive things I have ever had. I love pecan pie, but I am not super into the the fact that the majority of the recipe for pecan pie is corn syrup. These contain no corn syrup, as well as of course, no eggs or dairy. I was thinking about making something with the flavor of pecan pie, but crispy and crunchy, and a little bit healthier. My husband loves these pecan squares that they bake in house at one of our locally owned health food co-ops. So, I thought something similar to that would be a good place to start. I made my husband taste test them for me, not only did he say they tasted exactly like the ones he loves, but then took about 6 squares and walked a away!
Many times, I have to test things multiple times before they come out right, and I feel comfortable that this it is the best product. Before I share the recipe with all of you, I want to be sure. This recipe is so simple, and I used my basic vegan shortbread crust, which is perfect for so many different things, and the whole recipe only requires 7 ingredients. This was a first time perfection, which almost never happens to me, but I actually couldn’t find anything I wanted to change. I decided these were so perfect and so incredibly fool proof, that I am going to be bringing these to my Thanksgiving potluck, and I must suggest that you do the same. This recipe makes a huge batch that you can share with family and/or friends.
I promise, even if you have never baked before, you can pull this off. It is pretty much impossible to mess up. Also, I think this is a great answer to anyone who tells you “I hate vegan food!” Let me assure you I have heard this before, and my answer is, it’s not just smoothie bowls and salads. I can make anything plant based. I do love me some smoothie bowls and salads, but I want to make sure I have everyone covered here. These are an amazing rebuttal.
I hope you have a fantastic Thanksgiving next week, and I will be posting a lot more Thanksgiving and holiday season recipes for all your plant based holiday needs! I hope you enjoy!
Vegan Crispy Pecan Pie Squares
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 45m
- Total Time: 1h
- Serves: 12
- Yield: 24 squares
- Category: Dessert
- 1 c Vegan butter( I use Earth Balance)
- 2/3 c Sugar
- 2 2/3 c All purpose flour
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 c Vegan butter
- 1/3 c Maple syrup
- 1 c Sugar
- 3 tbsp. Coconut cream(I use Trader Joe’s)
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 1/2 c Pecans,roasted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Make the crust first, add all the crust ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and crumble together. I recommend just using your hands.
- The crust will be nice and crumbly, but will form a ball if pressed together. Crumble into a prepared sheet pan, either a 9×13 or a 10×15. I prefer a large pan so they are thin enough that they get nice and crispy.
- Press evenly into the pan and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, add all the filling ingredients to a medium sized sauce pan and heat on medium until the sugar dissolves and everything is fully incorporated. Stir, and let simmer for 3-4 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit until the crust is done.
- After the crust has baked for 20 minutes, pull out of the oven, if there are some bubbles in the crust poke the crust with a fork. Pour the pecan filling over the crust and put back in the oven.
- Bake for another 20 minutes. Let cool completely and then cut into small squares!