Smokey, tangy, creamy, carbs.
I’m busy, you’re busy, we’re all busy. So sometimes we need a super simple, super fast, super comforting meal at the end of the day. Boy, do I have the thing for you. This vegan creamy, smokey balsamic mushroom pasta is that thing. Incredibly thick and rich cream sauce tossed with pasta and topped with nice smokey balsamic mushrooms. I seriously feel like this pasta is so good, it must be really bad for me, but it is totally not, at all.
Oil free, protein rich, and yet still exactly what I think of when I think about comfort food. The cream sauce is a simple cashew cream, made a bit cheesy with nutritional yeast. It goes so well with these sauteed mushrooms. They get all glazed and awesome with liquid smoke and balsamic vinegar, and they are incredible!
This vegan mushroom pasta is so fast. You can get this done in the time it takes to cook the pasta. Blend the cashew cream, saute the mushrooms, drain the pasta, toss. I topped mine with some fresh basil and it was a beautiful as it was delicious!
Vegan creamy smokey balsamic mushroom pasta is something my family asks for all the time, and I’m pretty confident you will come back to this recipe again and again. It is hard not to love. Quick, check. Easy, check. Healthy, check. Can be made gluten free, check. Oil free, check. Incredibly delicious, check. Need I say more?
Vegan Creamy Smokey Balsamic Mushroom Pasta
- 1 Cup Raw cashews, soaked
- 1 Cup Vegetable broth
- 2 Tablespoons Nutritional yeast
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 10 Ounces Mushrooms,sliced (I used baby bellas)
- 2 Teaspoons Liquid smoke
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 16 ounces Pasta
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- You need to soak the cashews for 6-8 hours or overnight. Or if you are in a pinch, soak them in boiling water for 15-30 minutes.
- When you are ready, boil water for the pasta and cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain when it is done.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the cream sauce. Drain the cashews you soaked and add them to a blender. Then add the veggie broth, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and a few pinches of salt and pepper.
- Blend on high, scraping down the sides as needed, until completely smooth. This may take a few minutes. Set aside.
- Now, in a non stick or cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil (or you can use a splash of veggie broth for an oil free option) on medium high. Now add in the garlic and mushrooms.
- Saute the mushrooms and garlic for about 3-4 minutes, reducing heat as needed until the mushrooms release their liquid and begin to brown. Season with a few pinches of salt and pepper.
- Then, add the liquid smoke and balsamic. Continue to saute until the mushrooms are nice and brown and coated in balsamic. Remove from heat.
- Now, once the pasta is drained, return it to the pot you cooked it in. Then pour the cream sauce into the pot and toss the pasta in the sauce. Then add the mushrooms.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, you may need a bit more salt and pepper. Serve immediately.