Spring has sprung all over this pasta!
I think Spring has officially sprung. Obviously we need a pasta dish to commemorate the occasion. Vegan creamy bacon and pea orecchiette is the way to go. This is an almost one pot meal. You bake the bacon separately while the pasta is cooking, but the rest is just done in one pot!
My kind of meal is the lazy kind of meal. Frankly after a long day of recipe testing, photographing, writing, emailing and momming, I am ready for the easiest/best meal! This vegan creamy bacon and pea orecchiette is the answer to all of life’s questions.
Peas are the perfect spring veggie, and I’m not sure if you know, but peas and bacon go beautifully together! My “bacon” is made from coconut. I know it sounds a little strange to top you pasta with coconut, but I promise this works. The coconut becomes so smoky, sweet, salty and crunchy! It is a lovely topping.
Vegan creamy bacon and pea orecchiette is quick but so flavorful. I’m in love with my new spring time go to pasta. The pasta is cooked in veggie broth and non diary milk so you don’t have to drain it, and it just makes it’s own sauce while it cooks. Which is awesome, of course.
I bet you will fall in love with this Springtime treat. One pot, one pan, creamy dreamy, bright, fresh, with a lovely bacony twist.
Vegan Creamy Bacon and Pea Orecchiette
Vegan Creamy Orecchiette
- 1 tsp. Olive oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 4 C. Vegetable broth
- 3 C. Almond milk, or other non dairy milk
- 16 oz. box Orecchiette pasta
- 1 C. Peas, fresh
- 2 Tbsp. Nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp. Corn starch
- 2 Tbsp. Water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 C. Coconut flakes
- 1 Tbsp. Soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Liquid smoke
- 2 tsp. Maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Now, make the coconut bacon. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, liquid smoke and maple syrup. Then add the coconut into the bowl. Stir to coat the coconut completely with the liquid.
- Now spray a sheet pan with non stick spray, and spread the coconut onto the pan in a single layer.
- Bake at 350 for about 10-12 minutes stirring halfway through. Baking until the coconut is crisp and brown. It burns easily, so keep your eyes on it. Remove from the oven when finished and set aside.
- While the coconut bacon is baking, make the pasta. In a large pot, heat the olive oil on medium high, add the chopped garlic. Saute for a minute.
- Then add the veggie broth and almond milk. Now turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil.
- Once the broth and almond milk are boiling, add the pasta. Stir and cook the length of time your package says to make it al dente.
- Once your pasta is about 2 minutes away from being done, add the peas into the pot. Stir and cook the peas with the pasta until the pasta is al dente.
- Then, when the pasta is done. Reduce heat to low, and whisk together the corn starch and water in small bowl. Add that to the pot, stir and simmer for a minute to thicken.
- Next, when the sauce has thickened. Turn the heat off and add the nutritional yeast and some salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Pour the orechiette into a bowl, and crush some coconut bacon on top. Enjoy!