Have you ever had the French Toast Sticks from Burger King? I looooooved them when I was a wee child. We were always pretty busy when I was a kid, my dad worked really long hours, and we had a lot of fast food breakfasts. My dad was always into eating right and staying active, but didn’t know exactly what that meant until more recently. He eats better now, and is more active than most people I know. I digress though, back to childhood, there were many a morning I chowed down on some French toast sticks, dipping them into the little container of maple syrup they came with.
Now, you can make your very own, healthier version, coated in cinnamon and sugar and totally dippable! Of course, as always, cruelty free! They are so quick, you really don’t need to visit the drive thru! You can take these in the car and eat as you go. I love a good handheld breakfast; I always seem to be running around like a crazy person in the morning. Just trying to get my kid to school on time, and get started with my work.
These French toast sticks are not only so delicious that is it mind blowing, but they make my life so much easier. I generally already have all the ingredients lying around the house, and can whip up a batch in no time. You can even bake these all at the same time on a sheet pan while you get ready, or make it an easy lazy Sunday breakfast! Just toss the bread in the custard, bake then toss in cinnamon and sugar, dip, eat!
My daughter is obsessed with cinnamon toast, in every form. Just plain old toast with butter and cinnamon/sugar topping, cinnamon toast crunch, and any other variation. So, this is dedicated to my daughter. I took her cinnamon toast obsession a step further and fancied it up a bit. If you are concerned about refined sugar, the custard is refined sugar free, then you can roll these in cinnamon and coconut sugar instead of white sugar, and you are all set!
Healthy, adorable, ready in no time! These Cinnamon and Sugar French Toast Sticks are crazy good. Also, feel free to use your favorite gluten-free bread for the occasion. You can make this totally vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar free. I promise no one will know. I hope you enjoy!
Vegan Cinnamon and Sugar French Toast Sticks
- 1 1/4 C. Almond milk
- 2 Tbsp. Flax meal
- 3 Tbsp. Water
- 1/4 C. Apple sauce
- 1/4 C. Maple syrup
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 6-8 Slices White bread, slightly stale and dry is best
- 1/2 C. Sugar of choice
- 1 Tbsp. Cinnamon
- Maple syrup for serving
- In a small bowl, mix the flax and water together and let sit for a minute to thicken to make a flax egg. In a large mixing bowl, add the milk, flax egg, apple sauce, maple syrup, vanilla, 1 tsp. of cinnamon and salt. Whisk until fully combined.
- I recommend using a large loaf of bread you can slice yourself, then slice 6-8 thick slices, then slice those into about 3 or 4 sticks. Dip into the milk mixture, don't soak, just dip both sides and remove.
- Heat a little oil or vegan butter in a non stick pan, cook each stick on all sides until brown and crisp. A minute or two on each side.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir the 1 Tbsp. of cinnamon and sugar together. Once each French toast stick is cooked, toss in the cinnamon and sugar. Serve immediately with maple syrup.