Spinach and Artichoke is amazing, I feel like we can all agree upon that. This is right here is a way you can have that flavor for breakfast, or I suppose anytime. These babies taste exactly like spinach and artichoke dip, with all it’s cheesy goodness in a portable package. I toasted one and threw some vegan butter on it, holy crap!
How my brain works, and what my thought process is, is taking flavors I love that are almost never vegan and turning them into delicious plan based treats! In the 90’s, spinach and artichoke dip became really popular. My mom would make it for every special occasion where we would have people over. She would put it in a bread bowl and use the inside of the bread for dipping purposes, it was glorious! I knew when guests were coming I could count on that happening, and I was always super pumped. It was the first thing she would set out, and I would sneak my fair share before people got there.
These savory scones are so reminiscent of my childhood favorite it is uncanny. This is a really easy one bowl recipe, that is great for a quick portable breakfast! So cheesy and delicious! If I don’t have something ready to eat in the morning, I will forget to eat. I have very busy mornings and need something to grab quickly. I made these in the evening, and had them ready for everyone in the morning. My husband made an vegan egg sandwich with one, and I was pretty jealous of it! There are many options, great for a snack or anytime. These are light, fluffy, flaky and insanely delicious! I hope you enjoy!
If you have any questions or feedback, I would love to hear from you!
Tools I used:
Vegan Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Scones
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 15m
- Total Time: 30m
- 3 c All purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1/2 c Vegan butter (I use Earth Balance),cold
- 1/4 c Nutritional yeast
- 1 c Frozen spinach, defrosted and drained
- 3/4 c Artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1 c Almond milk
- 1 Flax egg (2 Tbsp. Flax meal+3 Tbsp. water=1 egg)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift all the dry ingredients together.
- Cut the cold vegan butter into the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter or fork until the vegan butter is in pea sized pieces.
- Add the nutritional yeast, artichokes and spinach and stir to start combining.
- Whisk together the almond milk and flax egg, then add to the rest of the ingredients and stir to start combining.
- Begin to knead with hands until everything is fully combined.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and form a ball. Pat out or roll with a rolling pin into a disk about two inches thick. Cut into eight triangles, and place onto a prepared baking sheet. Brush tops with melted vegan butter.
- Bake at 400 for 15-20. Enjoy with vegan butter, other spreads or just plain!