I hated soup when I was a kid. I thought all soups were just basic broth and nothing else. Once I discovered noodles could be added, or hearty veggies, (Or pho, oh the pho!) Soup can be anything and everything. This vegan cheesy rigatoni tomato soup is the greatest tomato soup! While just tomato soup on its own is comforting and yummy, try adding rigatoni. You’ll never be the same. Basic tomato soup still has its place beside some grilled cheese, but this soup is a whole meal. And it is freaking delicious. The addition of some vegan Parmesan to make it cheesy and salty will knock your socks off.
What You Need For The Tomato Soup of (Y)Our Dreams:
- Olive Oil: All my favorite soups start with some good olive oil.
- Shallots and Garlic: Also a vital part of delicious tasting soups.
- Basil, Oregano, Bay Leaves, and Red Pepper Flakes: To season this soup to perfection.
- Tomato Paste: This helps with a rich and sweet flavor.
- Red Wine: This is optional but I think it gives the soup a rich and deep flavor.
- Tomato Sauce or Puree: I like to use canned tomato sauce(puree) for the soup. It makes things fast and easy.
- Vegetable Broth: I think veggie broth is just as flavorful as their meaty counterparts.
- Vegan Parmesan: I use Follow Your Heart or Violife. If you can’t find vegan Parm or don’t want to use it, nutritional yeast is a good replacement!
- Rigatoni: Gluten- free or regular rigatoni both will work!
This vegan cheesy rigatoni tomato soup is so simple, and very quick to throw together. It is a big bowl of comfort and I always think this is a great meal to share with friends. If you are going to make this soup for someone, I recommend cooking the pasta like you would normally. Then make the broth normally, but leave them separate until ready to eat. Just reheat the soup, then add the rigatoni right before serving. This will keep the rigatoni from getting soggy and absorbing too much liquid.
Why Should You Make This Soup?
- Comforting and delicious.
- Easy and fast.
- Very simple, easy to find ingredients.
- Cheesy, melty goodness.
Vegan Cheesy Rigatoni Tomato Soup
- 12 Ounces Rigatoni, regular or gluten free
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 large Shallots, diced
- 6 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Dried oregano
- Pinch of Red pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato paste
- 1/4 Cup Sweet red wine, vegan (I used Sutter Home)*
- 2 Cans(15oz each) 30 oz total. Canned tomato sauce (tomato puree not ketchup)
- 6 Cups Vegetable broth
- 2 Bay leaves, dried
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Parmesan, I used Follow Your Heart**
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fresh basil and extra vegan parmesan for serving
- Cook the rigatoni according to package directions. Drain and set aside when done. (I like to toss with some olive oil to keep the rigatoni from sticking together.)
- Now, in a large soup pot, heat the olive oil on medium. Add the shallots and garlic. Sauté, reducing heat as needed until the shallots are translucent. About 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the basil, oregano and red pepper. Toss with the shallots and garlic.
- Next, add the tomato paste and stir it into the shallots and garlic.
- Pour in the red wine, and stir to combine everything. Let the wine simmer for a minute to start to cook off and let the shallots and garlic absorb some of the wine.
- Now, pour in the tomato sauce and vegetable broth. Stir to combine.
- Add the bay leaves and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Then bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium low or low just so it is bubbling slightly. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Then add the vegan Parmesan and stir to melt into the soup. Simmer for another 5-10 minutes to develop the flavors.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. It will probably need more salt and pepper. Remove the bay leaves.
- Add the rigatoni to the pot with the soup and stir to combine. Let simmer just for another minute or so to make sure the rigatoni is warm.
- Serve immediately with fresh basil and extra parmesan on top!