I had the strongest craving for garlic bread last night, and then I thought OH MY GOD, what if I make a pull apart garlic bread that had vegan cheese slices in between each piece of bread. Let me tell you, it was ah-maze-ing! We served it with a vegan Italian sausage pasta with a creamy tomato sauce. Hot dang. My tummy and heart were so happy. I also dipped my bread into the leftover sauce. This is slightly time consuming, simply because you have to let the dough rise for about an hour, but it is insanely easy. I used my basic pizza dough recipe for this, and it is very forgiving. If this is your first foray into the yeast dough making scene, this is a perfect place to start.
The dough is really the hardest part(and it is not very). Once you get the dough rolled out, you just pour everything on top, slap some cheese on it and layer it into a bread pan. Also, prepare for your house to smell glorious. You are gonna want to bake this on a loop so the smell never goes away.
1/2 C. Vegan butter, melted ( I use Earth Balance)
1/4 C. Fresh basil ( chopped)
2 Tbsp. Fresh parsley( chopped)
2 Tbsp. Fresh rosemary
10 Cloves of garlic (chopped fine)
8 Slices of vegan cheese ( I used Daiya provolone and swiss)
- Make your pizza dough according to my directions in the link.
- Preheat oven to 375. Split dough in half. Set one half aside. Roll out dough on a floured surface into a rectangle, about 1/2 an inch thick.
- Brush on melted vegan butter, sprinkle on garlic and herbs.
- Place four slices of cheese on to cover the whole rectangle.
- Cut in half length wise and then cut into strips.
- Start layering each strip on top of the next in a greased bread pan.
- Repeat with the other half of the dough and continue to layer until the pan is full.
- Bake at 375 for 50-60 minutes.
- Eat em’ all.