If you get tired and bored of eating red sauce on your pasta, I’m here to tell you this ragu is anything but boring. This vegan charred vegetable ragu is so incredible, you will never think of ragu the same way again. It is chunky, hearty and so delicious, and there is no meat in sight. Charring veggies makes them sweet and juicy. Blend them with red wine, broth and spices for an easy dinner that shakes things up a bit. This is a great way to hide veggies to get anyone to eat them too (like maybe your veggie hating kids).
To char the vegetables, you just need to toss them with olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper. Then stick them under the broiler until they get delicious dark bits all over. Then just puree the vegetables and finish off cooking the ragu in a pot. You can serve this charred vegetable ragu with any type of pasta you want. So this can be a totally gluten-free meal too!
This sauce tossed with pasta may seem too comforting to be healthy, but it’s seriously just blended vegetables. This ragu is also perfect for meal prep. It is super fast to make, keeps well in the fridge and reheats perfectly. This recipe makes enough for 4-6 portions, so I love to make up the pasta and sauce on Sunday, then portion it out for lunches all week.
My whole family loves it though (even my kid), so we have it for dinner often. It comes together so fast that is has become one of my go-to meals when we get home late. Wednesdays my daughter has dance and we don’t get home until 6. Then I broil veggies, while I boil pasta. Blend the veggies, mix with wine and broth, sprinkle with vegan Parmesan and serve!
Vegan Charred Vegetable Ragu
- 1 Pound (16oz.) Mushrooms, I used cremini
- 1 Pound (16oz.) Grape tomatoes
- 1/2 Pound (8oz.) Carrots, chopped
- 1/2 a Sweet onion, chopped
- 12 Cloves Garlic
- 3 Tablespoons Olive oil, divided
- 1/3 Cup Red wine, vegan (I used Merlot)*
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable broth
- 3 Tablespoons Tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Dried oregano
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 16 Ounces Pasta, gluten-free or regular
- Vegan Parmesan(optional)
- Turn the oven on to broil on low.
- Then put the mushrooms, grape tomatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic on a large sheet pan. Then drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and pepper, toss to coat. Spread the veggies out evenly and put in the oven under the broiler.
- Broil the veggies for about 10 minutes, toss, spread back out and continue to broil until the veggies have a nice char on them. About 5-10 more minutes.
- In the meantime, cook your pasta according to package directions.
- Once the veggies are done, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot on medium high. Then add the charred veggies to the pot. Toss to combine.
- Then add the red wine, vegetable broth, tomato paste, basil, oregano and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to combine and simmer everything together for 2-3 minutes.
- Now, using an immersion blender, blend the everything until there aren't any huge chunks of veggies left, but the sauce is still chunky. If you don't have an immersion blender, add everything to a food processor and pulse to create a chunky texture. Then add back to the pot.
- Stir everything together, simmer for another 1-2 minutes, taste and adjust seasonings.
- Toss the sauce with the pasta, serve topped with vegan Parmesan if desired.