Spicy and delicious Buffalo tofu, vegan Blue cheese and veggies all wrapped up in crisp lettuce!
Buffalo sauce is my life, my love, my everything! In an effort to keep my relationship with Buffalo sauce hot and heavy, I created this rather healthy meal! Now I am going steady with these vegan Buffalo tofu lettuce wraps. They have pretty much everything I look for in a meal. At least semi healthy, insanely fast and easy, delicious, protein filled and crazy flavorful! If you too find yourself looking for dinners and lunches that meet these requirements, look no further!
These buffalo tofu lettuce wraps take about 15-20 minutes, and no cooking skills are necessary. Crumbled tofu is sauteed in a skillet with a little oil, just to firm up and heat through. In the mean time, I heat hot sauce with some vegan butter in a small sauce pan, just until the butter has melted. Then pour said Buffalo sauce over the crumbled tofu and BAM! Tofu. Done.
Next, I throw together a simple vegan blue cheese dressing, this is optional, but highly recommended. Or you can use your favorite store bought vegan blue cheese dressing, Daiya makes a great one! Then, chop up some celery and/or green onions, and you are ready to build your wraps!
I love to use Bibb lettuce for my lettuce wraps. Bibb lettuce is tender and flavorful and still firm enough to become a pseudo taco shell! Then just place Buffalo tofu, vegan blue cheese, then veggies all on a nice big piece of lettuce. They are amazing and adorable!
After trying these vegan Buffalo tofu lettuce wraps, you too, may find yourself changing your relationship status! This recipe makes a lot of wraps, but it is possible you won’t want to share!
Vegan Buffalo Tofu Lettuce Wraps
- 1 Block Extra Firm tofu
- 2 tsp. Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 C. Hot sauce
- 1/4 C. Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- Bibb lettuce(10-12 leaves)
- 1/4 C. Celery, chopped
- 1/4 C. Green onions, chopped
- Vegan blue cheese Homemade or store bought
- If you are making vegan blue cheese, do that first, here is the recipe for my Vegan Blue Cheese Dressing. Then place in fridge until ready. If you are using store bought, it will come into play when putting the wraps together.
- In a non stick skillet, heat the olive oil on medium high. Now squeeze as much liquid out of the tofu as possible, just with your hands.(I squeeze mine in a paper towel over the sink). Now, crumble into the skillet. Sprinkle with the salt and if you still have some larger chunks of tofu, break it up with a wooden spoon.
- Saute, tossing around with the spoon frequently to cook the tofu through and brown slightly. It will take about 5 minutes or so.
- In the mean time, in a small sauce pan, combine the hot sauce and vegan butter. Heat on medium low, stirring frequently until the vegan butter has melted. Remove from heat.
- Once the tofu is a bit firm and a bit brown, pour the Buffalo sauce over the crumbled tofu. Stir and cook for another minute or so while the Buffalo sauce coats all of the tofu. Remove from heat.
- Let tofu cool for a minute so it isn't blazing hot. Then assemble your lettuce wraps. Pull off the largest and best leaves from the head of lettuce. Place on a platter, scoop a little tofu into the center, then vegan blue cheese if desired, then the chopped celery and green onions. Serve immediately!