There is little else better than this vegan buffalo broccoli mac and cheese. Separately, this vegan mac and cheese and vegan buffalo broccoli are mind-blowing. Put them together, and it may be one of the best meals of your life. The broccoli is dipped in a wet batter and then coated in panko. It is baked not fried, but incredibly crispy. Tossed in an easy vegan buffalo sauce. A bit of that sauce is also mixed into the GREASTEST vegan mac and cheese of all time. This is the most legit vegan mac and cheese, made the way a traditional stove top recipe would be made.
What You Need For The Best Vegan Mac and Cheese of All Time:
- Broccoli: You need to use fresh broccoli cut into florets for this recipe.
- Non-Dairy Milk: For the batter for the broccoli and to make the “cheese” sauce.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: This helps thicken the non-dairy milk for the batter and turns it into a mock buttermilk.
- Flour, Corn Starch, Salt and Panko: These are the dry ingredients for the broccoli.
- Garlic, Vegan Butter, Flour, Vegan Cheese, Nutritional Yeast and Pasta: These are the remaining ingredients for the mac and cheese. I love to use Violife Cheddar Style Cheese!
- Hot Sauce, Vegan Butter, Garlic Powder, Cane Sugar: This is what you need to make the buffalo sauce.
People ask me all the time, “what recipe of yours could you never go without?” The answer changes a lot, as I create new things. Right now, my answer is absolutely, this vegan buffalo broccoli mac and cheese! This recipe is a little more time consuming because there are several different elements. However, it is well worth, quite easy and you can use them as separate recipes if you prefer. Both parts of this dish are equally amazing.
Why Should You Make This Spicy Mac?
- Crispy buffalo broccoli that is baked, not fried!
- The absolute creamiest, easiest most delicious vegan mac and cheese.
- Putting them together is absolutely dreamy.
- This mac and cheese is kid-approved!
- Impress all those vegan naysayers with the best meal ever!
Vegan Buffalo Broccoli Mac and Cheese
For The Broccoli
- 1 Head of Broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 Cup Non-dairy milk, unsweetened I used soy milk
- 1 teaspoon Apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 Cup All purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup Corn starch
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cups Panko bread crumbs, vegan
For The Buffalo Sauce
- 2/3 Cup Hot sauce, I used Franks
- 1/2 Cup Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 1 teaspoon Cane sugar or agave
- Pinch of Garlic powder
- Pinch of Salt
For The Mac and Cheese
- 12 Ounces Pasta shells, medium or large
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan butter
- 6 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons All purpose flour
- 1 Cup Non-dairy milk
- 1 1/2 Cups Vegan cheddar style shreds, I used Violife
- 2 Tablespoons Nutritional yeast
- 2 Tablespoons Buffalo sauce(from what you made)
- Salt to taste
- Start the broccoli first. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees(F).
- Cut the broccoli into florets and set aside.
- Whisk together the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken for a minute.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, stir together the flour, corn starch, and salt. Now, pour the non-dairy milk and vinegar into the bowl. Whisk to combine and create a wet batter.
- In a separate medium sized mixing bowl, add the panko.
- Now, dip each broccoli floret into the wet batter, then into the panko and toss to coat completely. I do a few at a time to speed up the process.
- Then put the broccoli on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray or lined with a silicone mat. Repeat with all the broccoli.
- Spray the tops of the broccoli with more non-stick spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until nice and crispy.
- While the broccoli bakes, make the buffalo sauce. Add all the ingredients to a small sauce pan. Heat on medium and whisk until the vegan butter has melted. Simmer for 1-2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Make the mac and cheese. Cook the pasta according to package directions and drain when al dente.
- As the pasta cooks, make the cheese sauce. Heat the vegan butter in a medium sized pot on medium high.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Reducing heat as needed.
- Add the flour and whisk to combine with the garlic and butter to create a roux. Simmer for a minute.
- Add the non-dairy milk and whisk to combine making sure there are no lumps. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until it begins to thicken. About 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vegan cheese, nutritional yeast, 2 tablespoons of the buffalo sauce you made and a pinch of salt. Whisk to combine and continue to whisk until the vegan cheese has melted.
- Pour the pasta into the pot with the cheese sauce and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Once the broccoli is done, toss the broccoli in the remaining buffalo sauce. Serve immediately with the mac and cheese.