Day Nine of 12 Days of Christmas Cookies!
I know there are a lot of sugar cookie recipes out there, and so many vegan sugar cookie recipes. However, these vegan brown sugar cookies are where it is at! Richer tasting, so flaky and buttery. Slathered with a nice and thick vanilla frosting. Topped with all the sprinkles. These cookies are a Christmas essential. They are also great for really any holiday, you can just change up the sprinkles accordingly. Only 7 ingredients, they are about as easy as it gets. You can cut them into any fun shapes you want, and make it a fun activity for the whole family!
What You Need For These Adorable Brown Sugar Babies:
- Vegan Butter: For that flaky, buttery feel.
- Brown Sugar: Obviously. They give these sugar cookies a little something different.
- Applesauce: As my chosen egg replacer to keep them soft and smooth.
- Vanilla: To give them a little extra flavor.
- Flour, Baking Soda and Salt: Come together to make the dry ingredients.
You can frost these vegan brown sugar cookies in all kinds of different ways. You can fancily decorate these, color the frosting with food coloring. Or, just do something very simple like I did. Just white vanilla frosting and sprinkles. They are easy to cut in intricate shapes, because they don’t spread or move. They are totally perfect after baking!
Why Should You Make These Frosted, Buttery, Sugary Cookies?
- 7 ingredients for the cookies!
- Frosting is the best.
- Deeper, richer sugar cookie flavor.
- Cut into any shape you want!
- Decorate any way you want!
The frosting for these cookies is my favorite way to make foolproof vegan frosting. It is so thick and creamy and so yummy! It holds up really well and can be used for all kinds of things and is a great recipe to remember for all you cookie and cupcake needs. I think you guys will love everything about these cookies!
Vegan Brown Sugar Cookies
- 3/4 Cup Vegan butter, room temperature(I used country crock plant butter)
- 3/4 Cup Brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup Applesauce
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 1/2 Cups All purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Vegan butter, room temperature
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable shortening
- 3 Cups Powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- Pinch of Salt
- In a large mixing bowl, add the vegan butter and brown sugar. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat until fully combined and fluffy.
- Now add the applesauce and vanilla. Continue to beat until everything is combined. Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, sift the flour and baking soda. Stir in the salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet a little at a time. Continuing to mix, until everything is combined and the dough comes together. It may seem crumbly as you mix, but it will be perfect once fully combined.
- Divide the dough in half, and flatten each piece into a disk. Wrap each in parchment paper and put in the fridge. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees(F).
- Take one disk at a time and place on a generously floured surface. Sprinkle the top with more flour and spread some flour on a rolling pin. Roll out, starting from the center and working your way out to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut into any shape you want, place each cookie on a baking sheet about an inch apart. Bring all the scraps of dough back together and form another dough ball, flatten out and chill again to make more cookies with.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until firm. Repeat with all the dough.
- Cool completely, then make the frosting.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the vegan butter and vegetable shortening. Then add the powdered sugar a little at a time. Beating until all the sugar is incorporated. Add the vanilla and salt. Beat again to combine.
- Spread the frosting on the cookies and top with sprinkles if desired.