Creamy, dreamy broccoli cheese soup that just happens to be vegan!
This soup is good. Actually, it is damn good. With Summer coming to an end, I thought that some soup was in order. Hearty, body warming delicious soup. So naturally, we all needed a vegan broccoli cheese soup in our lives. One that takes only 30 minutes and one that would fool even the biggest dairy fan. This vegan broccoli cheese soup is everything!
Let’s chat for a second about vegan cheese. No I am not a huge fan of a lot of vegan cheeses out there. Yes, some of them are terrible. So here are my recommendations for this soup and many of your other vegan cheese needs. I would like to also say, this post is not sponsored, so these are my actual opinions, and I gain nothing from you buying these brands. So here goes.
I like Chao cheese from field roast for slices. They melt well, and on a veggie burger taste very real to me. As for shredded cheese for this recipe, I used Daiya blocks and shred them myself. I don’t like their shredded cheese. For some reason the blocks are better and melt well! As for fancy cheese, I love Miyoko’s anything, but especially their fresh mozzarella. Then I really like Kite Hill and Tree Line!
Now that we have talked about that, let’s talk about how easy this soup is, and how creamy and dreamy it is! Make a roux with vegan butter, add veggie broth, add veggies, add soy milk and vegan cheese. Season. Taste. Season. Done. I was immediately astonished by how amazing this soup is! Thick and creamy, healthy and wonderful!
Fall is almost upon us, and you will want some quick and awesome go to dairy free soups! This one is a winner, and I will make it every chance I get!
Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1/2 an Onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp. Olive oil
- 1/4 C. Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 1/4 C. All purpose flour
- 3 C. Vegetable broth
- 2 C. Broccoli, cut into florets(fresh)
- 1/2 C. Carrots, chopped
- 3 C. Soy milk
- 1 C. Vegan cheese, shredded, I used Daiya Cheddar style farmhouse blocks
- 2 Tbsp. Nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp. Mustard, dry
- 1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a saute pan, heat the olive oil on medium high. Then add the onion and garlic. Saute on medium high for 4-5 minutes until the onion is translucent. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Now in a large soup pot, melt the vegan butter on low and then add in the flour. Whisk together to make a roux. Cook on low for 1-2 minutes until it is thick and bubbly.
- Now whisk in the vegetable broth, until the roux is fully incorporated. Raise the heat to medium high and bring the broth to a simmer. Once it has started to thicken, 3-5 minutes, reduce to low.
- Now add the broccoli, carrots and the sauteed onion and garlic, cook for about 2 minutes, then add the soy milk, vegan cheese, nutritional yeast and seasonings. Start with a few pinches of salt and pepper.
- Now bring the soup back up to a simmer. Simmer until the vegan cheese has melted and the soup has thickened. 5-10 minutes. Stirring frequently. Now taste and adjust seasoning. I added a lot of salt and pepper, but it is to your preference.
- Serve immediately! I like to garnish with green onions.