Vegan and gluten free black bean burgers topped with spicy mayo and pickled veggies!
Banh Mi sandwiches are one of my favorite things! We make a lot of tofu Banh Mi sandwiches, and I love the flavor combination! Pickled veggies with a spicy mayo and tofu seasoned with Vietnamese spices. Once I am on a flavor combination kick, I like to see what others ways I can use this to my advantage! Thus the vegan Banh Mi black bean burgers were born! Black bean burgers with all the Banh Mi accompaniment!
I love Vietnamese food! If you have never tried any Vietnamese food, I highly recommend it! It is so flavorful and fresh and healthy. This quick and easy take on those Vietnamese flavors is healthy and filled with protein! Not only is this black bean burger vegan, using flax as the binder, it is also gluten free using oats instead of bread crumbs! Oh and did I mention, you just bake them all at once on a sheet pan?
I have had a lot of questions about veggie burgers that are vegan AND gluten free, and I am quite sure this is the answer to this question. You can use this base to make any kind of black bean burger, adding different seasonings and toppings. It is easy, versatile and you can always make a bunch ahead of time and freeze individually to cook whenever you want!
These pickled veggies that I use for topping are my jam! It is surprisingly easy to make pickled veggies of any kind. For the Banh Mi pickles, carrots, daikon, onion and jalapeno are pretty common. I used carrots, red onion, cucumber and jalapeno on these burgers, and they are wonderful! Just soak while you are making the rest of the burger, or as long as you want, but this can be a quick pickle! Vinegar, salt and sugar, that is it. Soak until they are to your liking, and top anything with them!
Fall in love with a very easy and healthy dinner that everyone will love! Slather with vegan spicy mayo and devour all these dang burgers!
Vegan Banh Mi Black Bean Burgers
Quick Pickled Veggies
- 1/4 C. Carrots, shredded
- 1/4 C. Red onion, sliced
- 1/4 C. Cucumber, sliced
- 1 Jalapeno, sliced
- 2/3 C. Apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Cane sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Coriander
Black Bean Burgers
- 15 oz. Can Black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 a Red onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 C. Rolled oats, gluten free
- 2 Tbsp. Cilantro
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Flax meal
- 3 Tbsp. Water
Spicy Vegan Mayo
- 1/3 C. Vegan mayo
- 2 tsp. Sriracha
For the Burgers
- 6 Hamburger Buns, vegan (and gluten free if you want)
- Extra cilantro for topping
- Make the quick pickles first. Add all the veggies to a bowl. Taking the seeds out of the jalapeno. Now pour the vinegar on top and add the seasonings. Stir to dissolve the salt and sugar. Make sure all the veggies are covered by the vinegar. Let sit until ready to use.
- Now make the burgers. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a food processor, add the onion, garlic, oats, salt, pepper and cilantro. Pulse for a second to start to break down.
- Now make a flax egg by adding the flax and water together in a small bowl. Stir and let sit for a minute to thicken. Now add the flax egg to the food processor. Process the veggies, oats and flax egg for a few seconds scraping down as needed until the mixture is fine and paste like.
- Now add the drained and rinsed black beans to the processor and pulse until the black beans are broken down and fully incorporated, but still have a little texture.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with non stick spray. Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, scoop large balls of the black bean burger mixture on to the baking sheet. Now flatten out with your hand into a round patty. Repeat until you have made all the burgers. You should get six burgers.
- Spray the tops of the burgers with more non stick spray. Now bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes, flip the burgers over and bake for another 8-10 minutes until they are nice and firm.
- While the burgers are baking, make the spicy mayo by whisking together the vegan mayo and sriracha in a small bowl.
- Assemble; once the burgers are done, put a little spicy mayo on a bun, then a burger, then pickled veggies, then cilantro and a little more spicy mayo. Serve immediately!