Sweet chipotle tofu rolled into tortillas and baked until crisp, aka your new favorite meal!
I made a pretty healthy meal for you. Vegan sweet chipotle sofritas taquitos is not only incredibly fun to say, they are baked, they are easy and they are delicious. The total package, because if there is one thing I look for in a meal, it is name that is fun to say. Just kidding. Seriously though, these taquitos are incredible! The smell alone will make your mouth water!
So, I have seen a lot of sofritas recipes that are really labor intensive and take quite a while. I created a more simplified “cheater” recipe so you can throw these bad boys in the oven lickity split! The sofitas are cooked with garlic, chipotles, tomato paste and veggie broth. Then with some agave to make it sweet and really complement the spiciness.
Roll the filling into cute little tortilla cigars, bake until crispy and then consume! I recommend serving with my avocado chimicurri dip(which is below) or some vegan sour cream or just regular guacamole! They are so darn good. Also, this makes so many taquitos so you can have them for lunch all week or just serve a crowd!
You can also of course fry these, but I was trying to go a wee bit healthier with this one. However, of course my husband fried his. I think they get delightfully crunchy in the oven baked at 400 degrees. I like to spray the tops with non stick spray so they brown a little as well!
These vegan baked sweet chipotle sofritas taquitos are brilliant! If you are slightly skeptical of chipotle and agave combined, fear not friend! It works so well, you will wonder how you have never had a sweet chipotle sauce before, and why you aren’t topping everything with it! Enjoy! This recipe is definitely one of my favorites!
Vegan Baked Sweet Chipotle Sofritas Taquitos
Sweet Chipotle Sofritas Taquitos
- 1 Block Extra firm tofu
- 3 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1-2 Chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Adobo sauce from the can
- 1 Tbsp. Tomato paste
- 1/2 C. Vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. Agave
- 1 Tsp. Cumin
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- 10-15 Small tortillas
- Non stick spray for pan and tops
Avocado Chimichurri Dip
- 1 Small avocado
- 1/4 C. Cilantro
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Green onions
- 1/4 C. Vegetable broth
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Now squeeze as much liquid out of the tofu as you can by either squeezing over the sink, or placing on paper towels and setting something heavy on top for a few minutes.
- Once the tofu is ready to go, heat the olive oil in a pan on high and add the garlic. Saute the garlic for a minute, reducing heat as needed.
- Now crumble the tofu into the pan. Break any large pieces up with a wooden spoon and saute the tofu, stirring frequently until the tofu is brown, about 5 minutes. I like to leave the crumbled tofu flat in pan for a minute to brown on one side then stir and flatten out again until all of it is brown. Season with a little salt.
- Once the tofu is brown, add the chipotles(1 or 2 depending on how spicy you want it). Then the adobo sauce, tomato paste, veggie broth, agave, cumin and lime juice. Stir to combine everything.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring frequently until all the liquid is gone. About 5-7 minutes. Season with a bit more salt, taste and adjust seasonings. Remove from heat.
- Now spray a baking sheet with non stick spray.
- Then take one tortilla at a time and fill it with about 2 Tablespoons of the tofu sofritas mixture. Placing it closer to one end of the tortilla. Now roll tightly around the tofu into a cigar shape. Place on the baking sheet seam side down. Repeat with the remaining tofu. Placing each taquito right up against the last seam side down.
- Once finished with all the taquitos, spray the tops with more non stick spray and bake at 400 degrees for 12-17 minutes or until browned a little and crispy.
- While the taquitos are baking, make the dip if you want to use it. Place all the ingredients into a blender and blend on high until nice and smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Taste and season.
- Once the taquitos are done, serve immediately with the dip or whatever dip you want!