Guys, I was sick for like 3 or 4 months straight, seriously. I got bronchitis in October, and was sick pretty much until January. My kid was sick most of that time, oh lordy…it was a disaster up in here. I got a bit better in December, and thought I was fine. I went to New York City in December while I was feeling better, only to get really really sick again while I was in New York. My brother and I had brunch at Tipsy Parson, and I decided since I was starting to not feel great, I would partake of one of their winter drinks, because I knew it would help. So, I had their Hot Toddy! It was so delicious, I have had many Hot Toddies in my day, but this one was amazing. I actually felt better the remainder of that day! We went all over the place, I had energy, I had pizzazz! Then the next day, I crashed and had to go to the doctor, but that one Hot Toddy let me have one epic day!
So, I was talking to a lot of my friends the other day at a friend get together, and we talked about how we had all been sick for a long time. It seems like everyone I know has been sick this winter. I mentioned that Hot Toddies really helped me. One of my friends said she had done the same thing, and that a Hot Toddy saved her life.
So, here we are my friends(irl friends and internet friends alike), I made you all this vegan Hot Toddy cake! It is a tea infused spice cake with a whiskey, agave and lemon glaze and a whiskey icing! It is totally amazing! It may not have the same impact at drinking a Hot Toddy while you are sick, but I promise you won’t regret the decision to consume this perfect cake!
It is really easy to make, and really easy to eat! This is the perfect thing to bake before winter is over, and since we just got another cold blast in the East, you have plenty of time to chow down on some Hot Toddy cake this weekend!I hope you enjoy!
- 1 C. Almond milk
- 2 Black tea bags
- 1 C. Vegan butter, I use Earth Balance
- 1 1/4 C. Brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp. Flax meal
- 6 Tbsp. Water
- 2 tsp. Vanilla
- 2 C. All purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Cloves
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking soda
- 6 Tbsp. Whiskey
- 2 Tbsp. Agave
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon juice
- 1 C. Powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Whiskey
- 1 Tbsp. Almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the almond milk in the microwave for about 1 minute so it is nice and hot.
- Add the tea bags to the milk and let steep for about 10 minutes while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the vegan butter and brown sugar until nice and fluffy.
- In a small bowl combine the flax and water to make flax eggs. Set aside and let thicken for a minute.
- Add the flax eggs and vanilla to the butter mixture, and beat together again, until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl sift together all the dry ingredients, the flour, spices and baking soda and powder.
- Once the tea has steeped in the milk for about 10 minutes, remove the tea bags.
- Start adding the dry ingredients and the tea milk to the wet ingredients. Alternating until everything has been incorporated.
- Add the batter to a bundt pan prepared with non stick spray and flour.
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.
- Test to see if it the cake is done with a toothpick.
- While the cake cools, make the syrup, add all the syrup ingredients to a sauce pan, and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Once the cake is cool, flip out onto a serving plate, poke a bunch of small holes in the top with a tooth pick, and pour the syrup over. Let absorb for a few minutes.
- Then whisk together the icing ingredients and drizzle over the top.