I grew up in Miami, there were endless options for Mexican and Cuban food, as well as many other Hispanic restaurants. I was greatly influenced early on by my love of Hispanic food. There was an amazing little Cuban restaurant really close to my house when I was a teenager. My dad used to take us there at least once a week. It was astoundingly cheap and astoundingly delicious. I used to get a Cafe con Leche, and they had the most delicious plantains I had ever had or ever will have. My many hours spent at the cafe inspired a lot of mojo marinades! Huevoes Rancheros was one of my favorite Hispanic inspired dishes as well. I have never liked eggs over easy, but my brother and dad did, so I would make scrambled eggs for mine, and over easy for them. I had really been missing this wonderful dish recently, so of course, I made my own!
These “eggs” are a take on the scrambled eggs I used to make for my huevos rancheros, they are not just a crumbled tofu. I blended them with spices and a few other things to give them the flavor and texture of a real scrambled egg. It is incredibly easy, all you have to do it throw everything in a blender and then pour into a pan and cook like you would a real scrambled egg. Then all you need to do is fry up some corn tortillas and top with your favorite toppings!
Why did I make this vegan version of huevos rancheros into a tostada, you ask? Because it is so freaking good! Why the heck not? It makes it portable, crunchable, and delectable.( I don’t think crunchable is a word, but it should be) This entire combination is amazing. I recommend using all the components I did. I have a mashed black bean layer, then the “eggs” then avocado smashed with lime, salsa, cilantro and green onions. I would also say adding some vegan cheese is a great idea!
This quick breakfast is perfect for any time of day! I do love me some breakfast for dinner, and this kind of already borders on breakfast and dinner! You can totally get creative with this one, and throw what ever you want on these babies, anything you would put on a taco would work on these as well! Vegan huevos rancheros tostadas are so perfect! Have fun everyone!
- 1 15oz. Block of Extra firm tofu
- 4 Tbsp. Coconut cream
- 1/2 C. Almond milk
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 2 Tbsp. Nutritional yeast
- 3 Tbsp. Cornstarch
- 1 tsp. Mustard
- 2 tsp. Turmeric
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Black pepper
- 1 tsp. Smoked paprika
- 6-8 Corn tortillas
- Oil of choice for frying
- 1 Can Black beans
- 1 Avocado
- 2 Limes
- 2 Tbsp. Cilantro
- Salsa of choice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a blender, add all the "huevos ingredients, and blend on high until creamy and smooth. This will take a few minutes.
- Once the huevos mixture is ready, heat a small non stick pan, sprayed with non stick spray, scoop about 1/3 of a cup of the mixture into the pan, and smooth out evenly. Let cook for a few minutes on one side, and then flip over, and you can break it up a bit to look like scrambled eggs. Move around and cook on each side just like you would with eggs. Once all of it has browned a bit and it looks cooked through, remove from the pan and repeat as many times as you want until you have as many eggs as you need, depending on how many tostadas you plan to make.
- Heat about half an inch of oil in a pan on medium high heat, and once the oil is hot, add your corn tortillas, one or two at a time, cook for a minute or each side. Until brown and crispy. Repeat until you have all your tortillas done.
- Smash the black beans down a bit with some salt and pepper, using a fork, warm them in a sauce pan for a few minutes.
- Put together the tostadas. Lay a crispy tortilla down, then the smashed black beans, then the "huevos" , then avocado mixed with lime juice, salsa, and cilantro. Squeeze a little more lime juice on top and you are ready to go!