Cereal was a staple for me most of my childhood, and frankly as a single, child free adult, it became a week night meal! Over the past few years, I realized I stopped eating so much cereal. As per my child’s request, I recently bought her some various cereals to try. I had a few bowls, and oh lord, the heavens parted and I remembered my love affair with cereal. When I was younger, I loved Golden Grahams! However, Golden Grahams is 1. not vegan 2. has a shit ton of chemicals and 3. has a shit ton of sugar. So, I decided to solve this problem, with my vegan, refined sugar free copy cat Golden Grahams!
This is actually incredibly easy to make, takes very little time, and can be stored in an air tight container for quite a while, if it lasts more than a few days! Throw it in a bowl with some almond milk(my favorite) or other dairy free milk, and you have an amazing perfect breakfast you can feel good about! The dough for the cereal is really simple, only 8 ingredients, and bakes in 10 minutes.
You can roll the dough out between two pieces of parchment paper, this way it gets really thin, and you just take the top piece of parchment paper off, and place the whole bottom sheet with the cereal on it right onto a pan. I cut the cereal into strips, then cut across to make small squares, then I just ran a fork along each row, to give them a little texture like the manufactured cereal.
They are so perfect and delicious! Just the right amount of sweetness, just the right amount of crunch, and I find myself craving this cereal that is much better for me every morning, and that makes me happy! I think I am going to work on some other cereals as well, so I can have my own fantastic stock of cereals in my pantry!
- 2 C. All purpose flour
- 1/2 C. Coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. Molasses
- 3 Tbsp. Agave nectar
- 1/2 C. Coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift all the dry ingredients together.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the coconut oil in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
- Add the vanilla, molasses and agave to the coconut oil and whisk together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir, then you may want to work with your hands, and work into a ball.
- Place a large piece of parchment paper on the counter, place the ball of dough on top, flatten out a bit, then place another piece of parchment paper on top of that. Roll the dough out between the two pieces of parchment paper until it is very thin. Roll from the center out and create a large rectangle that is an 1/8-1/16 inch thick. Remove the top piece of parchment paper.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut small strips the whole length of the dough, then cut across in small strips to create small square. Run a fork across each row to create some textured ridges.
- Place the whole piece of parchment paper with the cut cereal onto a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Turn the oven off, and let cool in the oven for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut along the lines again if needed. Let cool completely. Break apart the squares.
- You can store in an air tight container for about a week or so.