Tis the season for apple crisps, right? I have seen so many apple crisp recipes flying around the past few weeks, I thought I would take a crack at it. Lauren style. I love a good apple crisp, I just wanted to make it as easy and delicious as possible, while of course making it all plant based. This literally tastes like Fall became a food, and it really wants you to eat it! I also really love apples, they are one of the only foods on the planet that I can always eat. There are so many different varieties, sweet, crisp, tart and all are oh so beautiful! You can use any kind of apple for this recipe, I just went with the tart Granny Smith flavor because I thought it would pair well with the sweetness of this incredible shortbread crust.
I started with a moist, yet crisp and flaky shortbread crust, first because it is easier than any other crust to pull of. It gets crumbly and then you can just press it into the pan of your choice. Secondly, because it is my favorite. So, buttery and sweet. The perfect accent to any dessert. You can use this basic vegan shortbread crust for any recipe you want! I then put not only one layer of brown sugar crumble, but two. First, I put it on top of the crust, a layer of apples, and then, you guessed it, more crumble. The apples are tossed in a really simple flour mixture to flavor them and keep them from getting too liquidy.
All of this comes together to create the perfect treat. It did not make it through the night in my house, and I bet the same would happen to you. I brought this over for a family gathering, and there is literally nothing better than sitting outside on a crisp Fall evening enjoying vegan apple crisp with my loved ones. Some people added some vanilla ice cream to it, I just ate a slice out of my hand and loved every single minute of it!
Crispy, sweet and tart. Go pick some apples and get started on this incredible vegan dessert immediately. Fall will be over before you know it. I wait all year to work on pumpkin and apple recipes, it makes my heart so happy. I really throw myself into this season, it is my very favorite. We still have so many exciting Fall things to look forward to, but this should definitely be on your to do list!
I hope you enjoy!
Tools I used:
OXO Good Grips Adjustable HandHeld Mandoline Slicer
Fox Run Preferred Non-stick Rectangular Quiche Pan w/ Removeable Bottom, 14″ X 5″
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowls ¾, 1.5,3,4,5 and 8 Quart – Cooking Supplies
Vegan Apple Crisp Shortbread Tart
- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 50m
- Total Time: 1h 15m
- Serves: 6
- Yield: 1 Tart
- Category: Dessert
- 1/2 c Vegan butter( I use Earth Balance)
- 1/4 c Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 c All purpose flour
- 3 Apples, sliced really thin
- 3 tbsp. Sugar
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
- 3 tbsp. All purpose flour
Brown sugar crumble
- 1/2 c All purpose flour
- 3/4 c Brown sugar
- 2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. All spice
- 1/4 tsp. Cloves
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 c Vegan butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make the crust. In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the vegan butter, sugar and vanilla. Add the salt and flour. Mix together until fully combined. Press into a prepared tart pan. You can use a long rectangle, a square or a circle. It’s up to you!
- Poke holes in the crust with a fork and bake by itself for 10-15 minutes while you prepared the filling and crumble.
- Prepare filling, slice apples really thin, if you have a mandoline, that works best! Toss apples with remaining filling ingredients, and fully coat all the apples. Set aside.
- Prepare crumble, Mix all the dry ingredients together and pour melted vegan butter over and stir. Then crumble with your fingers.
- When crust is mostly baked, it won’t be completely done, take out of the oven. Put a layer of crumble on top of the crust, then layer the apples in a whatever pattern you would like, I just laid them slightly on top of each other. Then more crumble on top of that.
- Put back in the oven and bake at 350 for another 30-35 minutes. Enjoy with some vegan vanilla ice cream, or vegan whipped cream or just plain, you won’t be sorry!