Romesco sauce is one of my favorite sauces. And I consider myself a sauce connoisseur. I would also say, broccoli might be my favorite vegetable. So combining this roasted broccoli with vegan romesco sauce was kind of a no brainer. This sauce is so good I could drink it. The roasted broccoli is so simple. I love to serve it with some crispy pan-fried polenta. However it would also be great with some pasta, other veggies on the side, or just on its own! This recipe is a super quick and healthy(ish) weeknight dream meal.
What You Need For The Best Dang Sauce and Broccoli Ever:
- Broccoli: But I guess that was obvious.
- Olive Oil: For roasting the broccoli and to add to the sauce.
- Roasted Red Peppers: These are the base of the romesco sauce. I like to use jarred peppers, cause I’m lazy. But you can make your own if you prefer.
- Vegetable Broth: Most romesco sauces use a lot of olive oil, but I decided to cut it down slightly and use some broth too.
- Tomato Paste: For a tomato-y sweetness addition to the sauce.
- Almonds: This is a unique sauce ingredient that I just totally love.
- Agave Syrup: For a little added sweetness.
- Red Wine Vinegar: For a good hit of acidity!
- Crusty Bread: This is used to thicken the sauce. If you are going for a gluten-free option, you can use chickpeas in place of bread.
- Garlic, Paprika, Chives, Salt and Pepper: These are all essential flavors for the romesco sauce.
This recipe for roasted broccoli with vegan romesco sauce makes a lot of the sauce. I assure you, you will be happy it does. I wanted to make enough that is would be easy to serve with all kinds of different things. There is enough for a nice bed of it with the broccoli, and also enough to stir into some pasta if you prefer.
Why Should You Make This Gorgeous Dish?
- Roasted broccoli is bomb. Don’t let anyone tell you differently.
- Romesco sauce is the greatest and pairs so well with veggies, but none more than broccoli.
- It is super fast, like a 15-20 minute meal!
- A healthy(ish) alternative when you want something super comforting.
- Very, very delicious. We’re talking eyes rolling back delicious.
Roasted Broccoli with Vegan Romesco Sauce
For The Broccoli
- 2 Heads of Broccoli, cut into florets
- 4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons Olive oil
- Pinch of Salt and pepper
For The Romesco Sauce
- 2 Whole Roasted red peppers, from a jar(chopped)*
- 1/4 Cup Olive oil
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon Red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Agave syrup
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato paste
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Fresh chives, chopped
- 1/3 Cup Toasted almonds
- 1 Slice(1 inch) Vegan crusty bread(1 1/2 ounces or 40 grams)**
- 1 teaspoon Smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees(F).
- Put the broccoli florets and garlic on a large sheet pan. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Toss to coat the broccoli evenly.
- Roast the broccoli for 13-17 minutes or until it is tender and starting to brown.
- While the broccoli is roasting, make the sauce.
- Add all the sauce ingredients to a blender. Blend on high, scraping down the sides of the blender as needed until the sauce it completely smooth. This may take a few minutes depending on your blender.
- Taste the sauce and adjust seasonings.
- Once the broccoli is done, serve just the broccoli topped with sauce. Or like I did, serve with crispy polenta, or with pasta!