I love nothing more than a meal that is delicious while still requiring no effort and none of my brain power. Aren’t we all just completely exhausted by the time we are tasked with making dinner? Well, this quick and easy vegan broccoli pasta is probably the easiest meal of all time. You can add protein to it with some roasted tofu or maybe vegan sausages. Or just have this simple lemony, garlicky, cheesy, broccoli pasta all on it’s own. It is so filling and hearty and I am madly in love with it.
What You Need For This Quick and Easy Vegan Pasta:
- Broccoli: Obviously. I use fresh broccoli for this recipe, it cooks right in the pot with the pasta.
- Pasta: I recommend using a short pasta for this recipe.
- Lemons, Garlic, Shallots, Vegan Parmesan: These create the base for the sauce.
- Olive Oil, Agave and Pasta Water: These are the liquids for the sauce.
- Red Pepper Flakes: To give the sauce a little kick.
- Basil and Oregano: To flavor the sauce.
- Vegan Heavy Cream or Coconut Cream: I used Silk Heavy Cream to give the pasta a little creaminess.
So, this quick and easy vegan broccoli pasta is comically easy. You throw the pasta and broccoli into the same pot and boil together. Reserve some of the pasta water, and whisk that with some lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, vegan Parmesan, red pepper and olive oil. Once the pasta and broccoli is done, toss the sauce with the pasta and broccoli and add a little more vegan cheese if you want. That’s it! Done. Dinner is served.
Why Should You Make This Broccoli Pasta?
- It takes like 15 to 20 minutes to make!
- It is lemony and garlicky and so darn yummy.
- It is easy to add any protein you want to it!
- Kid and adult approved!
- A delicious way to eat your greens.
Quick and Easy Vegan Broccoli Pasta
- 12 Ounces Pasta of choice, vegan (and gluten-free if desired)
- 2 Small heads of Broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 teaspoon Lemon zest
- 1 Shallot, diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Oregano, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon Basil, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Agave syrup
- 1/4 Cup Olive oil or vegetable broth for an oil free option
- 1 Cup Vegan Parmesan, I used Follow Your Heart, divided
- 1/2 Cup Reserved pasta water
- 1/4 Cup Vegan heavy cream or coconut cream
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Make sure to reserve at least 1/2 cup of pasta water, and then when the pasta has about 2 to 3 minutes left to cook, add the broccoli to the pot with the pasta and stir.
- Let the pasta and broccoli continue to cook for the remaining pasta cooking time and when the pasta is al dente, drain the pasta and broccoli and then return them to the pot you cooked them in.
- While the pasta and broccoli are cooking, in a jar, plastic container or just a mixing bowl, combine the lemon zest, shallot, garlic, salt, oregano, basil, red pepper, lemon juice, agave, olive oil, 1/2 cup of vegan Parmesan and the reserved pasta water.
- Put the top on the jar or container and shake to combine the sauce. Or if you have everything in a mixing bowl, whisk to combine everything.
- Once the pasta and broccoli have been drained and returned to the pot, sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of vegan Parmesan over the pasta, and the pour the cream over the pasta, then pour the sauce you made over the the pasta as well.
- Toss to coat everything and evenly combine everything. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve topped with more vegan Parmesan of desired. You can also serve this pasta with any protein you want, it is delish with baked tofu or a vegan sausage.