Summer time in a bowl!
Zucchini is ripe and ready for the picking. This vegan creamy ricotta and zucchini pasta is the perfect use for all your zucchini. Mushy zucchini is the bane of my existence, but this zucchini is just quickly sauteed with garlic to keep it nice and crisp. It goes so beautifully with this vegan tofu based ricotta. It is tossed with pasta and some reserved pasta water to make the most delicious creamy, cheesy sauce for the pasta.
Healthy and light, yet still comforting, I promise you can not tell this is tofu. Protein filled pasta disguised as summery comfort food. This vegan creamy ricotta and zucchini pasta is just s few simple ingredients and 20 minutes max!
I used to hate zucchini when I was a kid, until I discovered Hibachi vegetables. That quick saute makes the zucchini taste so amazing. Mushy zucchini is a no go for me. I wanted to find a way to continue my current love affair with crisp zucchini. This is the way to go. Adding pretty much anything to pasta is an awesome idea! Ricotta adapted from my Vegan Pizza Grilled Cheese Recipe!
Vegan Creamy Ricotta and Zucchini Pasta
- 1 Block(15oz.) Extra firm tofu
- 1/4 C. Nutritional yeast
- 1/4 C. Lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black pepper
For the Pasta
- 2 tsp. Olive oil
- 2 C. Zucchini, chopped (about 1 large zucchini)
- 3 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 16 oz. Pasta
- 1/2 C. Reserved pasta water
- First, make the vegan ricotta. Press the tofu first, or for a quick method since you are going to crumble it anyways, place the tofu in a paper towel, and squeeze the block of tofu over the sink, try to squeeze as much liquid out as you can.
- Then place the tofu in a food processor with the remaining ricotta ingredients. Pulse the mixture, scraping down the sides as needed until it is smooth, but still has some texture, like ricotta. Set aside.
- Now get the pasta started and cook according to package directions. Reserving 1/2 a cup of pasta water before you drain it.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a non stick skillet. Then add in the chopped garlic and saute for a minute or so until it is getting soft and fragrant.
- Then add in the chopped zucchini and saute for just a minute until it is cooked but still crisp. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- When the pasta is done, drain all the water except the 1/2 cup of water you reserve and return the pasta to the pot. Then add in the tofu ricotta and the reserved pasta water, stir to combine and coat the pasta, then stir in the zucchini and garlic. Squeeze a bit of lemon on top if you like and serve!