Now your vegan grilled cheese can taste just like pizza. Ain’t life grand?
April is national grilled cheese month. So if you are looking for the best vegan grilled cheese ever, you have come to the right place. This vegan pizza grilled cheese has marinara sauce, the most delicious vegan ricotta and basil. Then it is made crispy and melty and amazing. Crisp and brown on the outside and it legit tastes just like pizza on the inside.
You can totally change up the filling with maybe olives, vegan pepperoni, onions, or anything you usually like on your pizza. I just want you to know, any way you make it, it will be outstanding.
I am in love with this tofu ricotta, I want to put it on everything. It is scary easy, and so convincing, I doubt anyone will notice this is not regular ricotta. The combination of this vegan ricotta, marinara and fresh basil is amazing when it gets hot. Vegan pizza grilled cheese is everything!
I have been craving this like crazy, since I always want pizza,but this is way faster! My favorite bread to use for this is sourdough. It makes this vegan pizza grilled cheese super bangin’. Also, is gets super crunchy on the outside, which is frankly my favorite part of any grilled cheese situation.
I will never get tired of these beauties! Super quick to throw together and a total crowd pleaser. My family loves them, and ask for them all the time!
Vegan Pizza Grilled Cheese
- 1/2 Block Extra firm tofu
- 1-2 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Tbsp. Nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp. Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon juice
- Pinch of black pepper
- 3/4 C. Marinara sauce
- 1/4 C. Fresh basil
- 6 Slices Crusty bread, I used Sourdough
- 1/4 C. Vegan butter,room temperature (I used Earth Balance)
- First, place the tofu in a paper towel or kitchen towel, and squeeze it over the sink to get as much liquid out as you can. It will crumble, but no worries, you will be crumbling it anyways.
- Once you have squeezed as much liquid out as you can, crumble the tofu into a food processor or blender. Then add the garlic(1 or 2 cloves depending on how much you like garlic), the nutritional yeast, olive oil, salt, lemon juice and pepper.
- Process for a minute or so, scraping down the sides as needed until it is smooth but with a little texture so it looks like ricotta cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Now, take two slices of bread, spread one slice of bread with the vegan ricotta mixture, the other slice with marinara and a few pieces of basil. Then put the sandwich together.
- Next, heat a non stick pan on medium high.
- Then spread one side of the sandwich with vegan butter. Then place butter side down in the pan.
- Spread the other side of the sandwich with vegan butter. Cook on one side for 3-5 minutes until nice and brown and crusty. Reducing heat as needed. Flip and cook for a few more minutes until the whole sandwich is brown and crisp and hot and delicious.
- Serve immediately.