Yes, I am back with a new very simple but super delicious and comforting meal! You just need one pot and then a baking dish to make this cheesy Arrabbiata vegan pasta bake! You make a super simple Arrabbiata sauce that only takes a couple of minutes. Then stir uncooked pasta into the sauce, pour into a baking dish and then rest is done for you. The pasta cooks in the oven, the sauce that looks thin thickens into the most intensely luscious tomato sauce. Broil some vegan cheese on the top and get ready to enjoy!
You will be shocked by how easy this cheesy Arrabbiata vegan pasta bake is! If you have never has Arrabbiata sauce, it is very simple and rustic, but nice and spicy. If you don’t love spicy sauces, you can cut back on the red pepper flakes, because this dish definitely has a kick to it. I think it is perfect and I had several people try it, and they all agreed. I know a lot of spice is not for everyone though.
I also made this sauce even more simple with the use of canned crushed tomatoes, rather than fresh. So, the only real work you are doing to make this whole meal is sautéing garlic and shallots. Then combine that with red pepper. tomato paste and the crushed tomatoes. You do then add water to the sauce to thin it out, and I know at this point it looks more like tomato soup. Trust me though, this is the perfect amount of liquid to cook the pasta in the oven and have then sauce become the right consistency!
I really love cooking pasta using this method. Not only is it easier, I really think the pasta has a lot more flavor. Rather than cooking the pasta in straight up water. The Arrabbiata sauce imparts a lot of amazing flavors. I think you guys are really going to love this pasta bake!
Cheesy Arrabbiata Vegan Pasta Bake
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 4 Cloves Garlic, chopped fine
- 1 Shallot, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- 1 Can(28oz) Crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Non dairy milk, I used soy milk
- 2 Cups Water
- 12 Ounces Pasta, gluten-free or regular(uncooked)
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Mozzarella, I used Violife
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees(F).
- Heat the olive oil on medium in a medium sized pot.
- Add the garlic and shallot, sauté, reducing heat as needed until the shallot is translucent. About 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the tomato paste and red pepper(if you don't want your sauce to be spicy add 1/4-1/2 tsp. of red pepper instead) to the pot and stir into the garlic and shallots as much as you can.
- Now add the crushed tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine everything. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low.
- Next, add the salt and non-dairy milk, stir to combine. Let simmer for 1-2 minutes. Then taste and adjust seasonings. You want to make sure it is salted properly since you won't be able to adjust it later.
- Pour the water into the sauce and stir. Make sure it is fully combined. I know it looks like soup now, but you will be cooking the pasta in the sauce so you need it to be thin. It will thicken in the oven! Turn the heat off.
- Now, stir the uncooked pasta into the sauce, and pour it into a 11x7 inch baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the pasta is al dente.
- Top with the vegan cheese and broil on high for 2-3 minutes or until the vegan cheese melts(as much as it can). Serve with fresh herbs and vegan parm if desired.