Vegan Orange Pistachio Baked Donuts
There is a donut shop in Atlanta called Revolution Doughnuts, if you get the chance, go there. They have some vegan donuts and some non vegan donuts, but there are plenty of vegan ones to choose from and I have never been disappointed. They are all amazing, they have a yeast donut that is topped with orange and pistachio, and it is an amazing combination. Last time I had it, I was very inspired by how orange and pistachio taste together. I was thinking I would make my own take on this, and make it a baked donut, and fill it will pistachios processed into a flour. Add orange zest into the batter and then top it with an orange glaze. Oh, and some more chopped pistachios on top!
Is pistachio flour a thing? I don’t know, but it definitely is now! It was so beautiful to create and even more beautiful to eat! It gives the dough such good flavor and texture, I may have eaten more than my fair share of these babies. I made little ones, but you can make whatever size you want. I love baby donuts, it makes me feel better about eating like 10 of them, I’m all like “this has to only be like one donut, right?”
I have been considering doing this flavor combination for a while, but I thought winter was the best time to do it. When I think of pistachios and oranges, those flavors and scents make me think of cold weather. So, I thought now was a good time! They are perfect in every way. Really quick to make, baked not fried, and ready to party in your mouth.
Also, sorry for all the recipes that require a food processor, but I often forget not everyone has one, because they are magic. If you are vegan, or just trying to eat healthier, get yo’ self a food processor, you can use it for so many things. Including maybe continuing to process the pistachios into butter? I dunno? Maybe? It sounds pretty good, and I might go give it a try!
Okay, kids, have fun! Make these donuts, enjoy January! See you soon, and I hope you enjoy! As always, if you have any questions or feedback, I would love to hear it!
- 1/3 C. Pistachios,deshelled(processed into a flour)
- 1 C. All purpose flour
- 1/3 C. Sugar
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Vegan butter,melted
- 2 Tbsp. Flax meal
- 3 Tbsp. Water
- 1/3 C. Almond milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 2 tsp. Orange zest
- 2 C. Powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Orange juice
- Extra chopped pistachios for topping(optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor, process the pistachios to a flour consistency, it will take a few minutes.
- Pour the 1/3 C. of pistachio "flour" into a medium sized mixing bowl, add the all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir to combine.
- Make a flax egg by mixing the flax meal and water together and let sit for a minute to thicken.
- Add melted vegan butter, flax egg, almond milk, vanilla and orange zest, to the dry ingredients and stir until fully combined.
- Spray your donut pan with non stick spray and fill your donut pan with batter.
- Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes for mini and 10-15 minutes for large.
- While the donuts cool, make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar and juice.
- When the donuts have cooled completely, dip into glaze and top with chopped pistachios.
- Make sure you don't over process the pistachios, it will turn into nut butter, but process enough so it is a pretty fine consistency.
- I like to use a piping bag to fill the donut pan cavities.
- I like to use the juice from the oranges you zest for the glaze, fresh juice is the best!