Vegan trail mix cookies, the summer treat you never knew you needed…until now.
These vegan trail mix cookies happened while I was dreaming about the outdoors. I finished the first draft of the manuscript for my southern vegan cookbook on Friday. I have literally been in my house for months recipes testing for the book, and all I want now is to be outside! These vegan trail mix cookies are, gluten-free, so easy and made from simple, easy to find ingredients.
These peanut butter based cookies are one of the most delicious cookies I’ve ever had. With oats, raisins, peanuts, almonds and chocolate candies, they taste just like my favorite kind of trail mix! You can definitely change up the add-ins if you want to make these cookies just like your favorite trail mix.
In the year 2019, it is easier than ever to find a vegan version of anything you may want. So, you actually have a few options for vegan m & m’s style candies. I will link a few here, but if you really can’t find any, and you don’t want to order, vegan mini chocolate chips work great too! Here are some of my favorite candies:
- UNREAL Dark Chocolate Peanut Gems | Non-GMO, Vegan Certified, Colors from Nature | 6 Bags
- Little Secrets All Natural Fair Trade Gourmet Chocolate Candy – Dark Chocolate (5oz, 2 Count)
These ones aren’t certified vegan, they are made in a factory with other foods. So, they don’t contain milk, but aren’t in a vegan factory, so if that matters to you, go with the unreal or Choco No No’s.
- No Whey – Choco No No’s (12 Pack) – Vegan Chocolate Candy – Dairy Free, Peanut Free, Nut Free, Soy Free, Gluten Free
Vegan trail mix cookies are a must this summer! They are totally kid approved, and frankly I can’t stop eating them as well. The search for my favorite vegan and gluten-free cookies is over. These are hands down the most amazing. I have recently had a series of really bad vegan baked goods at different stores, so allow me to rectify that situation!
Vegan Trail Mix Cookies
- 1 Cup Peanut butter
- 1 Cup Organic cane sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Flax meal
- 3 Tablespoons Water
- 1/2 Cup Oat flour*
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 Cup Vegan chocolate candies,chopped**
- 1/4 Cup Chopped peanuts
- 1/4 Cup Chopped almonds
- 1/4 Cup Raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the peanut butter and the sugar with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer.
- Now, in a small bowl, combined the flax meal and the water. Whisk, then let it sit for a few minutes to thicken.
- Then, add the flax meal/water, the oat flour, the vanilla and the salt to the bowl with the peanut butter.
- Continue to mix, until everything is combined.
- Add the chocolate candies, the peanuts, the almonds and the raisins to the bowl.
- Fold everything in, I like to use my hands to press and fold it all together.
- Take 1-2 tablespoons of the mixture in your hand and roll it into a ball. If some of the trail mix add ins fall out, you can just press them back into the top.
- Place the ball of dough on a sheet pan, sprayed with nonstick spray or lined with parchment paper. Repeat with all the dough, leaving them in balls, place them at least an inch apart on the pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove them from the oven, and very, very gently press the top of each cookie down with a fork to flatten the cookies out just a bit.
- Bake for 2-3 minutes. They will still look soft when you take them out, but don't worry.
- Let them cool completely, they will harden and not be crumbly once they have cooled.