Full of nutrients and flavor!
This lightened up version of pesto is definitely not light on flavor! This vegan roasted kale pesto pasta is oil free, vegan of course, and the base is all kale instead of basil giving you those extra health benefits we all need after the holidays. Kale is roasted with a ton of garlic, then blended with nutritional yeast, walnuts, veggie broth, lemon juice and salt and pepper. That’s it. Clean and beautiful!
I think roasting the kale and garlic gives this pesto pasta such a depth of flavor that is beyond compare. It is so simple and easy. You just throw the kale and garlic on a pan to roast as you cook the pasta. Then blend and done. I highly recommend serving this pesto pasta with your favorite vegan sausages.
The combination of roasted kale pesto, and spicy Italian sausage is AMAZING! I literally had to walk away from this pasta to make myself stop eating it. It is so addictive! I can’t stop thinking about it. It haunts my dreams.
This vegan roasted kale pesto pasta will definitely be on rotation this winter. I try to eat a little bit lighter in January, to balance out the 1000’s of vegan Christmas cookies I just ate. Kale has like every vitamin and mineral you need, and I absolutely need all of them right now!
Vegan Roasted Kale Pesto Pasta
- 5 Cups Kale, chopped
- 10 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil (or vegetable broth for oil free option)
- 2 Tablespoons Nutritional yeast
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable broth
- 1/4 Cup Walnuts
- Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- a Pinch of Red pepper flakes
- 16 oz. Pasta
- 4 Vegan sausages, sliced (I used Field Roast)
- Vegan Parmesan for topping, I used Violife Parmesan
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss the chopped kale and garlic cloves with the olive oil(or if you want an all oil free option, use veggie broth) and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Rub the olive oil all over the kale and massage it in to make sure the kale is all moist.
- Pour the kale and garlic on to a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for about 8-10 minutes. The kale should be nice and soft. Remove from the oven when done.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain the pasta when done.
- If you are adding vegan sausage, slice and brown on each side in a non stick pan while the pasta is cooking. Set aside.
- Once the kale and garlic are done, add them to a blender or a food processor. Then add the nutritional yeast, the 1/4 cup of veggie broth, walnuts, lemon juice, 1/2 tsp. salt and red pepper flakes. Blend until completely smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
- Return the pasta to the pot, scoop the pesto into the pot and toss to coat the pasta. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add more salt or pepper if needed. Then add the sliced sausages. Serve with vegan Parmesan on top if desired.