Do you know what my favorite dessert is? It just so happens to be key lime pie! You may even say I love it so much I have a tattoo of a slice of key lime pie(seriously, I do). I grew up in Miami and we used to go to the Keys all the time. Of course they have the best key lime pie, none of which is vegan. So, since Summer is almost here, I made you guys these vegan key lime pie ice cream sandwiches, and they are amazing! A perfect replacement!
These ice cream sandwiches are super easy, and they are the most amazing beach or poolside summer time treat! The ice cream is a super simple 4 ingredient no churn ice cream. Then the graham crackers that house the ice cream to make it into a sandwich are a softer version of a regular graham cracker so the ice cream doesn’t shoot everywhere when you bite into it.
Super refreshing, and bright. These sandwiches are the only ice cream I want to eat in the heat. The ice cream is made with coconut cream which is really the best compliment to the lime juice and zest. Just coconut cream, sugar, lime juice and zest. That is it. Whipped together and then just place in the freezer until ready!
Once the ice cream is freezing, you can make the graham crackers. They are quick and easy, and ready in no time. By the time the crackers are done and cooled completely, you can check to see if the ice cream is frozen enough. It freezes really fast.
I hope you love these vegan key lime pie ice cream sandwiches as much as I do. You don’t have to get a tattoo of one, but you may want to after trying them!
Vegan Key Lime Pie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Vegan Key Lime Ice Cream
- 2 C. Coconut cream, chilled I used Native Forest from Edward and Sons
- 1 C. Powdered sugar
- 1/4 C. Key lime juice or lime juice
- 2 tsp. Lime zest
Vegan Graham Crackers
- 1 C. Whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 C. All purpose flour
- 1/2 C. Brown sugar
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 6 Tbsp. Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 2 Tbsp. Agave nectar
- 2 Tbsp. Molasses
- 1/4 C. Almond milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- Make the ice cream first, in a large mixing bowl, start whipping the chilled coconut cream(using only the thick part and discarding the watery part or saving for another use). Whip for a minute or so until fluffy, then add the powdered sugar a little at a time. Whipping until it is nice a fluffy and stiff.
- Now add the lime juice and lime zest. Continue to whip until everything is incorporated and super fluffy. Spread ice cream mixture into a freezer safe container. Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Now make the graham crackers, in a large mixing bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Now add all of the wet ingredients to the mixture and combine using a hand mixer or stand mixer. You can then start to use your hands to knead slightly to combine. Form into a dough ball, wrap with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least an hour.
- When ready to make the sandwiches, preheat oven to 350 degrees and take dough out of fridge. Cut the dough in half, working with half the dough at a time, knead a little to make sure it is not crumbly and forms a nice ball. Place on a piece of parchment paper. Press down a bit and place another piece of parchment paper on top.
- Roll out the dough from the center out forming and rectangle that is about 1/4 inch thick. Cut excess dough off the sides to make it even. Now cut into rectangular crackers( I like to use a pizza cutter to make them even). Poke a few holes in the top of the cracker, and slide the parchment paper with the crackers on it onto a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes until firm. Cut again in the same spot if they baked together slightly. Let cool completely.
- Make the sandwiches by scooping the key lime ice cream onto one cracker and cover with another. Serve immediately or freeze and serve later.