These sandwiches are totally messy, juice running down your fingers, sweet and spicy dreams. These vegan caramelized pineapple jalapeno BBQ sandwiches are incredible and really easy for anyone to make. Baked BBQ tofu, brown sugar caramelized pineapple rings, pickled jalapenos. Slather BBQ sauce on the buns and enjoy! You can easily make this meal gluten-free too by using gluten-free buns! It is a summer essential!
If you have never caramelized pineapple, I get it. You are probably thinking, but pineapple is already sweet. You are, of course correct, but something so amazing happens when you caramelize pineapple. They are juicy and have such a deeper flavor. All that juice and all that flavor really cuts the heat from the jalapenos and it all just works together so perfectly.
One of my favorite food combos is the beautiful union of sweet and spicy. In summer, I want all of it. My favorite fruits are in season and they all pair so well with all kinds of spicy peppers. I know there are a lot of people out there who don’t like spicy food, but the sweetness of the pineapple really cuts the spice. Or you can just leave them off the sandwich if you can’t handle any spiciness. The pineapple and BBQ tofu are great just on their own!
8 Ingredients, 30 minutes and you are ready to eat one of the best meals of your life. Who says vegan cooking and eating has to be all expensive, time consuming or just plain ol’ salad? These vegan caramelized pineapple jalapeno BBQ sandwiches are simple, finger lickin’ total comfort food. The best kind of vegan food there.
Vegan Caramelized Pineapple Jalapeno BBQ Sandwiches
- 1 Block(15oz.) Extra firm or super firm tofu, drained and pressed*
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- 4 Rings of Pineapple
- 1 Tablespoons Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 3 Tablespoons Brown sugar
- 1 Cup BBQ sauce of choice
- 1/4 Cup Pickled jalapenos
- 4 Buns, gluten free or regular
- Lettuce or arugula(optional)
- Once you have pressed the tofu, preheat the oven to 375 degrees(F).
- Cut the block of tofu into 1/3-1/2 inch slices. Brush both sides of each slice of tofu with olive oil. Then sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bake the tofu for 15 minutes, flip and bake for another 15 minutes or until the tofu is nice and firm and brown.
- Remove the tofu from the oven, brush the top with BBQ sauce and bake for 5 more minutes, flip and brush the other side with BBQ sauce then bake 5 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and brush with BBQ sauce one more time. Let cool slightly.
- While the tofu is baking, make the pineapple. Melt the vegan butter in a large non-stick skillet on medium.
- Add the brown sugar and whisk with the butter until the sugar has melted. Reduce heat as needed.
- Then place the rings of pineapple in the skillet. Let saute in the butter and sugar for 3-4 minutes on one side. Flip and saute for another 3-4 minutes on the other side. Remove from heat and let the sauce thicken.
- Once the tofu is done and the pineapple is done. Spread some BBQ sauce on the buns, then layer with a few pieces of tofu, a slice of pineapple, some pickled jalapenos and lettuce or arugula if you want. Serve!