You melt my heart.
Picture the most melty, comforting, ooey, gooey, kinda messy (in a good way), mouth watering, delicious thing you can think of. Now replace that image with this vegan lentil Frisco melt, because this patty melt will blow you away. This is like what you want to eat at Midnight, or to cure a hangover. This is comfort food. However, on that note, this is not really all that unhealthy. It may seem that way, since it is so GD amazing, but rest assured, this is definitely a step up from any late night fast food.
This vegan lentil Frisco melt is not just late night food. I must confess, I have had one for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They are addictive. The lentil patties are super easy, baked and would be great all on their own. They have incredible flavor, hold together really well, and can be made gluten free very easily.
The lentil patties are mostly lentils and bread crumbs, using a flax egg as a binder. Then if you just switch out the bread crumbs for gluten free bread crumbs and use gluten free bread for the sandwich, you are all set for anyone who does vegan and gluten free.
As the lentil patties bake, you can make the most incredible vegan Frisco sauce! It is so freaking good, and I kinda want to put it on all my sandwiches. Smash the lentil patty with Frisco sauce, onions and vegan cheese if you want (it is actually delicious either way!) on bread in a hot pan. Making the outside of the bread crispy and brown, but ooey gooey on the inside.
After eating this vegan lentil Frisco melt, your life may never be the same! I know I am forever changed. I find myself just wondering off thinking of these patty melts, until I am lost and have no idea where I am.
Vegan Lentil Frisco Melt
- 1 C. Cooked lentils
- 2 Tbsp. Flaxseed meal
- 3 Tbsp. Water
- 3/4 C. Panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tsp. Liquid smoke
- 1 tsp. Soy sauce or tamari
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
- a pinch of Salt and pepper
Vegan Frisco Sauce
- 1/2 C. Vegan mayo
- 2 Tbsp. Ketchup
- 2 tsp. Sweet pickle relish
- 2 tsp. Agave syrup
- 1 Tbsp. Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. Smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. Onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- a pinch of Black pepper
For the Melt
- Sandwich bread of choice
- 1/4 a White onion, sliced thin
- Vegan cheese (optional)
- Vegan butter for spreading on the bread
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your cup of cooked lentils. Then smash them, I like to use the back of a fork or a potato masher. Smash them pretty well, but so that they still have some texture, you don't want a smooth paste. It should still be chunky.
- Then in a small bowl, whisk together the flaxseed and the water. Set aside to thicken for a minute to make a flax egg.
- Then to the bowl with the lentils, add the panko, olive oil, liquid smoke, soy sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Then add in the flax egg. Stir everything together until fully combined. The mixture should hold together easily.
- Now form patties from the lentil mixture. It will make 2 large patties or 4 small ones. Divide the mixture and roll into a large ball, then flatten into a patty.
- Spray a baking sheet with non stick spray, then place the patties on the baking sheet, and spray the tops of the patties with more non stick spray. Then bake for 20 minutes, flipping the patties after 10 minutes. Or until the patties are firm.
- While the patties are baking make the Frisco sauce. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk all the sauce ingredients together. Taste, adjust seasonings, set aside.
- Once the patties are done, spread one piece of bread with the Frisco sauce, then add sliced onion, then a patty, then vegan cheese if you want. Then more sauce on the other slice of bread. Put the sandwich together.
- Heat a pan on medium high, and either add some olive oil to the pan, or spread the top piece of bread with vegan butter. Then place the sandwich buttered-side down in the pan.
- Press the sandwich down in the pan, and brown one side for a minute or so. Then spread the other piece of bread that is on top now with vegan butter. Flip and brown that side, smashing down the sandwich.
- Then, once the melt is all brown and hot and gooey, remove from the pan, and serve immediately!