Yummy, yummy, yum, yum.
Vegan BBQ chopped mushrooms served over slightly sweetened jalapeno grits is just one of those meals that comes around once in a lifetime. One bite of some BBQ mushrooms and creamy, spicy grits and you’ll hear romance music playing in your head. This recipe is easy, healthy and perplexingly delicious. Just rough chopping mushrooms and roasting them at a high temperature is an incredible route to take to get to perfect mushrooms.
These simple creamy vegan grits are made so much better with the addition of a bit of sugar and some pickled jalapenos. I actually love to use sweet and spicy pickled jalapenos to really dive in to the sweet and spiciness. I am all about sweet heat!
This whole meal takes about 20 minutes and I can’t get enough. Vegan BBQ chopped mushrooms and jalapeno grits are the combination we all didn’t know we needed! If there was ever a recipe that could get someone to love mushrooms, this is it.
You can use homemade or store bought BBQ sauce for this recipe. I like to do a little of both. If I feel like cooking, I will make my own BBQ sauce. If I really don’t feel like being in the kitchen, I just throw some store bought BBQ sauce on these mushrooms. Smother the grits with them and call it a day!
Vegan BBQ Chopped Mushrooms and Jalapeno Grits
BBQ Chopped Mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 20 Ounces Mushrooms, chopped
- A Few Pinches Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 Cup BBQ sauce, homemade or store bought
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 1/4 Cup Non-dairy milk, I used soy milk
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Organic cane sugar
- 1 Cup Grits
- 1/4 Cup Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 1/3 Cup Pickled jalapenos, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees(F).
- Rough chop the mushrooms and put them on a sheet pan.
- Drizzle the mushrooms with the olive oil, and sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Toss to coat the mushrooms in the oil and salt and pepper.
- Roast the mushrooms at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until they are super brown.
- While the mushrooms are roasting, make the grits.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, whisk together the water, non-dairy milk, salt and sugar. Heat on medium and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and very, very slowly whisk in the grits. The slower the better, whisking the whole time. Making sure there are no lumps.
- Put a cover on the grits and simmer on low for 10-15 minutes, whisking every few minutes until the grits are super thick.
- Remove the grits from the heat, stir in the vegan butter and jalapenos.
- Once the mushrooms are done, toss them in the BBQ sauce.
- Then serve a bowl with grits and mushrooms on top!