I have loved the classic cacio e pepe for forever. So, I wanted to give you guys a summery and vegan version of this old favorite. So, this corn and arugula vegan cacio e pepe is here to satisfy your summer time pasta needs. And man, it’s good. This 8 ingredient pasta is super simple, very delicious and summery AF. It is quick to throw together, but still very sophisticated!
What You Need For These Delish Noodles:
- Bucatini: This is my favorite pasta to use for this vegan cacio e pepe, but you can use any long pasta.
- Black Pepper: Black pepper is absolutely essential to this dish, it is the pepe in the name of course.
- Vegan Butter: This is used to sauté the pepper, to get the dish started.
- Vegan Parmesan and Nutritional Yeast: These provide the cheesiness the dish needs.
- Corn and Arugula: That is probably obvious.
- Reserved Pasta Water: I count this as one of the 8 ingredients, but it is nothing extra, it just helps with the creaminess of the pasta.
I have always felt like corn was meant for pasta in the summer. It gives this pasta a nice sweetness. The arugula gives it an extra peppery flavor which I love! This whole dish takes maybe 20 minutes and that is amazing. You can throw it together for a quick weeknight meal, or serve it with some crusty garlic bread and call it a date night meal. I think you will agree that this dish is pure summer time heaven. If you love cheesy pasta, try my Vegan Pasta al Limone!
Why Should You Make This Summery Dish?
- Corn! I love corn in the summer.
- It is peppery, cheesy goodness.
- Bucatini is the best pasta ever.
- 8 ingredients and 20 minutes!
- It is so so so delicious.
Corn and Arugula Vegan Cacio E Pepe
- 12 oz Bucatini or other long pasta
- 1 Cup Reserved pasta water
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 2 teaspoons Black pepper
- 1 1/2 Cups Corn, fresh or canned
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Parmesan, I used Follow Your Heart
- 1/4 Cup Nutritional yeast
- 4 Cups Arugula
- Salt to taste
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, making sure to save the pasta water, and drain the rest when the pasta is al dente.
- When the pasta is done, heat the vegan butter on medium high in a large non-stick skillet.
- Once the butter has melted, reduce heat to medium and then add the black pepper to the skillet. Simmer for a minute.
- Add the corn and sauté the corn, reducing heat as needed, for about 2 minutes.
- Next, add about a 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water to the skillet, then add the pasta to the skillet.
- Now add the vegan Parmesan and nutritional yeast. Toss to combine and make the pasta saucy. Adding more pasta water if needed to make it creamy.
- Next add the arugula and a few pinches of salt. Toss again and let the arugula wilt. Just 1-2 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve immediately.