Who among us hasn’t at one point, been obsessed with Starbucks’ Iced Lemon Loaf? Just me? Well, either way, I wanted to make you guys an incredible vegan lemon loaf to make up for any of those cravings you may have. So, I made this super moist, slightly mouth-puckering, iced lemon loaf that has a cherry berry compote swirled into it! It is most likely the greatest lemon loaf of all time, vegan or not. I like to eat this for breakfast, which, may seem crazy to most people since it is arguably just cake. But, it is also perfect for a snack or dessert!
What You Need For This Vegan Lemon Loaf:
- Lemons: But you probably knew that.
- All Purpose Flour, Baking Powder, Salt: For the dry ingredients.
- Vegan Butter, Cane Sugar, Flax Meal, Vegan Yogurt, Vanilla, Oat Milk: These are beaten together to make the wet portion of the batter.
- Lemon Zest, Powdered Sugar: These are whisked together for the icing that goes on top as well as some lemon juice.
- Mixed Berries and Cherries: Simmered with cane sugar and lemon juice to make the compote.
This cherry berry vegan lemon loaf is demonstrably perfect. Fact one, it has the most yummy berry compote swirled all into the center of it. Making is moist with a little extra tang and sweetness. Fact two, you then drizzle a lemon syrup over the hot loaf when it comes out of the oven. Making it even more moist and tangy. Fact three, once it cools you put a thick and perfect lemon icing on top of the loaf, making it extra bright and lemony! I’m obsessed with this lemon loaf, I could probably eat the whole thing myself, but that seems like a bad idea.
Why Should You Make This Cherry Berry Lemon Cake?
- This lemon loaf is the best I’ve ever had!
- It is moist and tender inside.
- With a nice crunchy outside.
- The cherry berry compote goes so well with the lemon.
- Everyone will love it!!
Cherry Berry Vegan Lemon Loaf
Cherry Berry Compote
- 1 Cup Berries, I used blueberries and blackberries
- 1 Cup Cherries, pitted and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Cups All purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon zest
- 1/2 Cup Vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 Cup Organic cane sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Flax meal
- 3 Tablespoons Water
- 1/4 Cup Vegan yogurt, plain or vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/2 Cup Non-dairy milk, unsweetened I used oat milk
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon juice
- 1/4 Cup Lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons Powdered sugar, vegan
- Make the cherry berry compote first.
- In a medium sized saucepan stir together the berries, cherries, sugar and lemon juice. Heat the saucepan on medium.
- Simmer the berries, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes. The berries should start to breakdown, then you can smash any large chunks of berries that are left.
- Stir, and continue to simmer until the compote is thick. 2 to 3 more minutes. Turn off the heat and let cool. You want to make sure the compote is cooled completely before adding it to the lemon loaf. You can also do this ahead of time and let it cool overnight in the fridge.
- Once the compote has cooled, preheat the oven to 350 degrees(F).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and zest. Set aside.
- Now, in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, using a hand mixer or the paddle attachment of the stand mixer, beat together the vegan butter and cane sugar. Beat for about 2 minutes or until it is light and fluffy.
- Then make a flax egg by whisking together to flax meal and water in a small bowl. Set aside and let it thicken for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Now add the flax egg, vegan yogurt, and vanilla to the wet mixture and continue to beat until everything is fully incorporated, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Then whisk together the non-dairy milk and lemon juice. I like to do this in a liquid measuring cup to easily pour it into the batter.
- Now, with the mixer running, start adding the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients, alternating with the milk mixture, adding a little of each at a time, until everything is fully incorporated.
- Line a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray.
- Pour about 1/3 of the batter into the pan, then smooth is out.
- Now add dollops of the berry compote on top of that batter, using about 1/2 of it. Then take a knife and swirl the berry compote into the batter.
- Top that with another 1/3 of the batter and smooth it out on top. Then top that with dollops of the remaining compote and the remaining batter. Swirl those together and then smooth them out.(You can watch me do all this on the video).
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cool for about 5 minutes, but while it is still warm you want to drizzle the syrup over the top of it. Whisk together the lemon juice and powdered sugar and drizzle it over the whole top of the loaf.
- Let cool completely, then put the icing on top. Whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest and then pour over the top of the loaf and smooth it out evenly.
- Slice and serve!