VIT- Very Important Tofu
One of the best meals I have had recently, would have to be this vegan Za’atar tofu drizzled with herb yogurt sauce, served with flat bread. Tofu tossed in a Middle Eastern spice blend. Baked to perfection. Then, you can either wrap the tofu in a flat bread or serve with flat bread on the side. Drizzle with or dip in this perfect tangy, herby vegan yogurt sauce. It is so amazing! I could have eaten the whole block of tofu by myself.
Have you tried anything with Za’atar before? I am so in love with this spice blend. You may be able to find Za’atar spice blend so you don’t have to make your own. However, it is really easy to make. My blend is oregano, cumin, sesame seeds, salt, pepper and sumac. Sumac is a spice mostly used in Middle Eastern and South Asian cooking. It is nice and tart, almost like citrus to me. You can find it in most international areas in the store, specialty spice shops, Middle Eastern markets, or on Amazon. If you can’t find any sumac, I recommend replacing with lemon zest!
The whole meal is so aromatic and it makes my mouth water while it is baking. The vegan herb yogurt sauce is perfect. It goes so well with this Za’atar tofu it is crazy! Just a quick sauce made with non dairy yogurt, lemon juice and herbs. That can be whipped up while the tofu is baking, then boom. Amazingness!
Everything about this vegan Za’atar tofu with herb yogurt sauce is beautiful. It is healthy, flavorful, gluten free (if you skip the flat bread), and so satisfying.
Vegan Za'atar Tofu with Herb Yogurt Sauce
- 1 Block (15oz) Extra firm tofu
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tsp. Oregano, dried
- 1 tsp. Sumac
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black pepper
Herb Yogurt Sauce
- 5 oz. Plain non dairy yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. Chives, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Agave syrup
- Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- You first want to press your tofu. Either with a tofu press, or by placing something heavy on top. Press for at least 15 minutes, but the longer the better.
- When you are ready to make the tofu, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Then cut the tofu into cubes and place in a bowl. Drizzle the olive oil on top, then toss to coat the tofu.
- Then sprinkle in all the seasonings, and toss to coat all the tofu cubes in the spice mixture.
- Place all the tofu on a baking sheet, and bake at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until the tofu is all brown and firm and a bit crispy.
- While the tofu is baking, make the yogurt sauce. Add all the ingredients for the herb yogurt sauce to a small mixing bowl. Stir to combine everything. Then, taste and adjust seasoning. Set aside.
- Once the tofu is done, serve immediately with flat bread, drizzled with herb yogurt sauce!