Noodle soups are the best soups, obviously.
In this incredible vegan rendition of Stroganoff, it is transformed into the perfect plant based soup where coconut cream takes the place of sour cream. Don’t worry, it doesn’t taste anything like coconut. Just a super comforting soup. This is the best thing for winter, but light enough for any time of year! This wild mushroom Stroganoff soup tastes rich like a regular Stroganoff, but incredibly healthy and super quick!
I started by sauteing a mixture of 3 kinds of mushrooms(you can use any you like), onions and garlic. Until nice and brown and all yummy! Then veggie broth and coconut cream are added, then you just cook the noodles right in the soup liquid. So, not only quick, but only one pot is needed!
This Stroganoff soup is also flavored with sherry that is used to deglaze the pan and get all the scrumptious little bits stuck to the bottom. Then tomato paste is added and it creates such an amazing soup, that has very few ingredients but manages to be super full of flavor.
Serve this with a hunk of bread and some fresh herbs on top, and you will impress even the heaviest of meat eaters and all the naysayers. Having family over this holiday season? Is it cold outside while family is visiting? You are going to want to make up a big pot of this vegan soup. You don’t even need to tell them it is vegan, they won’t know.
December and January are my favorite soup months, and this may be my favorite soup. I will let you in on a little secret though, I am a fan of any soup that is carb heavy! The abundance of noods in this soup make me want to eat it for every meal forever and ever and ever.
Vegan Wild Mushroom Stroganoff Soup
- 8 oz. Wild mushroom mix, sliced (I used baby bella, shiitake and oyster)
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1/2 a Sweet onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Sherry vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Tomato paste
- 5 C. Vegetable broth
- 1/2 C. Full fat coconut milk, I used Native Forest from Edward and Son's
- 2 C. Wide noodles, vegan
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a soup pot, heat the olive oil on medium high. Add the sliced mushrooms, onions and garlic. Saute until the mushrooms and onions are cooked, about 3-5 minutes. The onions should be translucent. Season with salt and pepper.
- Now add the sherry, and stir to get any bits off the bottom of the pot. Then add the tomato paste. Stir into the mushrooms and onions.
- Now add the veggie broth and coconut milk. Stir to combine. Taste and add a bit of salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil.
- Now add the noodles, reduce the heat a bit and simmer until the noodles are cooked al dente. Check the package instructions for how long that will probably be according to the type of noodles you have.
- Taste and season as needed. Serve immediately!