The best things in life are food, more specifically vegan chicken Parmesan. That’s the saying, right?
There was a Italian restaurant near my house in the small town I lived in when I was really young. I thought it was so damn fancy, and we only got to go there on special occasions. I really loved chicken Parmesan. Crispy on the outside, super flavorful, and so cheesy. This vegan white bean “chicken” Parmesan is literally exactly like it. A perfect mock up of my old favorite. Crispy outside, perfectly chicken like base, topped with tomato sauce and vegan mozzarella. More importantly, cruelty free!
My “chicken” is made from a mixture of white beans, bread crumbs, vital wheat gluten, and to make it very convincing, a bit of poultry seasoning. The mixture takes just minutes to throw together, and looks and tastes just like the real thing! The patties are then breaded with bread crumbs, nutritional yeast to give it that cheesy Parmesan flavor, then basil and oregano!
This is my current new obsession. This vegan “chicken” Parmesan is quick and easy, feeds a crowd and is hands down the most delicious dinner EVER! I just made a quick tomato sauce, but you can use your favorite store bought sauce if you like to save some time. Then just top that with vegan mozzarella of choice, I used Trader Joe’s vegan mozzarella. It is cheap, really yummy and melts perfectly.
You could also try the fresh mozzarella from Miyoko’s kitchen. That is super delicious as well. I’m sure we all have some vegan cheeses we like and some we hate. So, follow your heart!
If you too have been missing this classic Italian dish, look no further. Not only is it perfect in every way, it is filled with lots of yummy plant based protein. This vegan white bean “chicken” Parmesan is baked not fried, making it filling yet still light and awesome!
Vegan White Bean "Chicken" Parmesan
For the White Bean "Chicken" Patties
- 2 C. Cannellini Beans, canned or already cooked
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 2/3 C. Vegetable Broth
- 1/4 C. Soy sauce
- 1 C. Vital Wheat Gluten
- 2/3 C. Bread crumbs
- 2/3 C. Panko Bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. Poultry seasoing
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black pepper
For the Breading
- 1 C. Bread crumbs
- 1 C. Panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. Nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp. All purpose Flour
- 1 tsp. Oregano, dried
- 1 tsp. Basil, dried
- 2 C. Favorite tomato sauce, store bought or homemade
- 1 C. Vegan Mozzarella, I used Trader Joe's
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Now make the white bean "chicken". In a large mixing bowl, add the cannellini beans. Now mash with either a potato masher or a fork. Mash all the beans completely.
- Now add all the remaining patty ingredients to the bowl. Start stirring to combine. Once it starts to come together, begin to knead with your hands. Knead for a few minutes until it is doughy and no longer sticky.
- Now in a separate bowl, combine all the breading ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Then, form the white bean mixture into patties. Grab a ball of dough however large you want the "chicken" to be. Then press and flatten out pretty thin so it looks like a chicken breast.
- Now place the patty into the bowl full of breading and press breading into the patty on both sides, coating completely. You may need to press down hard into the breading.
- Then spray a baking sheet with non stick spray and place the patty on to the baking sheet. Then spray the top of the patty with more non stick spray.
- Repeat with all the white bean mixture, then bake for 30 minutes, flipping the patties over halfway through the baking process, spraying the other side with more non stick spray.
- After 30 minutes, remove the patties from the oven, top each with as much tomato sauce as you want, spread it around, then top that with vegan Mozzarella.
- Bake for another 5-7 minutes, or until the vegan cheese has melted. Serve immediately with pasta or whatever you like. Top with vegan Parmesan as well if it strikes your fancy!