These vegan tofu wings show you how amazing tofu can be!
We are deep into what I call “official comfort food season.” I used to love getting buffalo wings when I wanted to chow down on something super comforting. So, today, I have the ultimate wing post for you! These vegan tofu wings are EPIC! Two different sauces, two different cooking methods (baked and fried) and a step-by-step to ensure you get the most amazing texture of tofu. You may actually be able to fool some people with this one. I do promise no one can tell these wings are made from tofu.
So, How Do We Make These The Most Awesome Texture?
Yup, it’s that simple. By pressing and freezing, you make the tofu firm and porous. It takes on a very convincing “chicken-like” texture that is total perfection! It also absorbs flavors really well. I decided to keep this recipe gluten-free for all my peeps that can’t eat seitan wings. This one uses cornstarch for the breading and is perfect for frying and baking.
Let’s Talk Sauce:
- I decided on a classic, perfect vegan buffalo sauce
- And….a Pad Thai sauce, yup something a little different and sooooo good!
So, the actual active time making these vegan tofu wings is only about 20-30 minutes. They are super quick once prepped. I just press and freeze the day before and then thaw and press again right before I make them. All you actively need to do is break the tofu into pieces, let them soak up a bit of marinade for a few minutes. Toss them in cornstarch, bake or fry. Toss in sauce of choice! They stay really firm and crispy for hours, so you can take them to a party!
You will be completely flabbergasted by how delicious and perfect these vegan tofu wings are! My husband says he thinks about them while he’s at work and craves them all the time. For all the people who ask me if they can freeze tofu, dear lord, yes! Freeze some tofu and get started on these wings!
Vegan Tofu Wings
For the Tofu
- 1 Block(15oz.) Extra firm tofu
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon Soy sauce or Tamari for GF option
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 Cup Corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Oil for frying or non-stick spray for baking
For The Buffalo Sauce
- 2/3 Cup Hot sauce, I used Franks
- 1/2 Cup Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
For The Pad Thai Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Tamarind paste
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable broth
- 3 Tablespoons Soy sauce or Tamari for GF option
- 1 teaspoon Chili sauce, I used Asian Chili Garlic sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Brown sugar or coconut sugar
- First, press the block of tofu. Place the tofu on top of some paper towels or a kitchen towel and then on a plate or flat surface. Place another towel on top, then place something flat and heavy on top of that. I like to put a pan with cans on top to weigh it down.
- Press this first time for about 30 minutes.
- Now put your block of tofu into the freezer. Freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight. I do the first press and the freezing the day before I plan to make the wings.
- Then defrost the tofu, you can defrost in the microwave, or let sit on the counter until completely thawed.
- Then, press the tofu again, using the same process you used the first time. Press for about an hour, making sure as much liquid is out as possible. The tofu should be firm and spongy.
- Now, in a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the vegetable broth, the soy sauce or tamari and the garlic powder.
- Next, break the whole block of tofu into large irregular chunks and put them in the bowl with the liquid marinade you just mixed.
- Toss to coat all the tofu in the marinade and let the tofu sit for about 10 minutes.
- Mix the cornstarch and salt in a large mixing bowl, then add all the tofu and toss to coat thoroughly.
- If you are frying, heat about 1/2 an inch of oil in a large non-stick skillet on medium high to about 350 degrees(F), you should see tiny bubbles.
- If you are baking, preheat the oven to 450 degrees(F).
- To fry: once the oil is hot, fry the tofu chunks on each side for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- To bake: spray a sheet pan with non-stick spray and place the tofu chunks on the sheet pan. Spray the tops of the tofu with more non-stick spray and bake for 10 minutes, flip and bake 5-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Now you have your choice of sauce, for the buffalo sauce, heat the hot sauce, vegan butter and garlic powder on medium low in a small sauce pan, whisk to combine once the butter has melted. Then bring to simmer. Simmer for 1-2 minutes, then pour as much buffalo sauce over the tofu as you would like.
- For the Pad Thai sauce, whisk together the tamarind paste, vegetable broth, soy sauce or tamari, chili sauce and brown sugar in a small sauce pan. Heat on medium low, bring to a simmer. Simmer for 2-3 minutes to melt the brown sugar and thicken slightly. Then pour the sauce over the tofu.
- Serve the wings! They do reheat well and stay firm and crispy for a few hours without reheating!