Day Six of 12 Days of Vegan Christmas Cookies!
These crunchy vegan toffee cookie bars taste just like English toffee in cookie bar form! Buttery brown sugar cookie base. Sprinkled with more brown sugar, makes these bars taste like toffee. The actual cookie is so reminiscent of that caramelly goodness. You’ll be surprised by how easy they are. The brown sugar sprinkled on top doesn’t really melt, it just creates crunchy little sugar morsels on top! Spread with dark chocolate and sprinkled with nuts. These vegan toffee cookie bars will become an essential part of your holiday baking!
What You Need For A Toffee Mouth Party:
- Vegan Butter+ Brown Sugar: Vegan butter and brown sugar makes the base of these toffee cookies amazing! So buttery and rich.
- Vanilla: To help with the toffee flavor.
- Cornstarch: To thicken without eggs.
- Flour+ Salt: To finish off the cookie base.
- Dark Chocolate+ Chopped Nuts: For that English toffee vibe!
I don’t know for sure, but these are probably a baked good anyone can make. The dough is only 6 ingredients. All of which you may already find in your pantry. They get pressed down into a pan. Baked, then you sprinkle chocolate chips on top and let them melt while the cookie base is still hot. Spread out the chocolate evenly, once it has melted. Then sprinkle the top with chopped nuts. Let cool and cut into bars.
Why Should You Make These Bomb Cookie Bars?
- Sweet and salty!
- They taste just like English toffee. Which is my favorite treat!
- Sooooo easy.
- Only 8 super simple ingredients.
- They’re the most delicious thing ever.
These cookie bars are an easy, tasty and festive way to celebrate the holidays. Make several batches to leave on people’s doorsteps this year. You will make a LOT of friends!
Vegan Toffee Cookie Bars
- 1 Cup Vegan butter, room temperature(I used country crock plant butter)
- 1 1/4 Cup Brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 Cups All purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt, plus more for topping
- 1 1/2 Cups Vegan dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 Cup Roasted nuts, I used pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees(F).
- Now in a large mixing bowl, add the vegan butter and 1 cup of brown sugar. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, whip together until light, fluffy and fully combined.
- Then add the vanilla and continue to mix to combine. Set aside.
- Next, in a separate mixing bowl, sift the flour and cornstarch. Then stir in the salt..
- Start adding the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture a little at a time. Continuing to mix with the mixer. Until everything is fully combined. It may seem crumbly as you do it, but it will be the perfect texture once you have mixed everything completely.
- Now, taking a 13x9 inch pan, line it with parchment paper. Then take the dough and press it down evenly into the pan. It will be a pretty thin layer. I like to spray my hands with non-stick spray so the dough doesn't stick to my hands when I press it down. Then I use a cup to flatten it out.
- Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar over the top of the dough evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. The brown sugar on top won't really melt, it just crystalizes on top, creating a crunchy sugar topping.
- Then, while the cookie base is still hot, sprinkle evenly with the chocolate chips. Let sit for 5-7 minutes or until the chocolate melts. Then spread the melted chocolate out evenly over the cookie base.
- Next, sprinkle with the chopped nuts and a bit of salt.
- Let cool completely, then cut into bars. They keep well in the fridge for about a week.