Tandoori spice is oh so nice!
The smell of the batter for these tandoori cauliflower wings alone, will give you a good indication that you are about to have one of the best meals of your life. The whole recipe only takes about 15-20 minutes to make! A quick batter of almond milk, water, flour and corn starch with Garam Masala, smoked paprika and cayenne takes all of 2 minutes to whisk together. Then cauliflower florets are dipped, coated and fried! These vegan tandoori spiced cauliflower wings are OUT OF CONTROL!
I’m serving these beauties with curry mustard dip! Taking about 1 minute to make, it complements these wings like crazy! So fragrant and beautiful.
So, let’s talk for a minute about Garam Masala it is commonly used in India and Pakistan, and I use it frequently when I make Indian dishes. It generally is a combination of black pepper, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and nutmeg. You can find it pre-blended for you at many grocery stores, but here is a link to a great, quick and easy blend I have used when I can’t find any at the store, from Allrecipes.com.
Next we will talk a little about frying these cauliflower wings. I fry things, as you know, I am more of an ethical vegan instead of for healthy reasons. This is after all a vegan comfort food blog, but if you want to go a healthier route, I recommend either using an air fryer, or baking them. Yes, you can bake these. I have baked them at 450 degrees for about 15-20 minutes until they were crispy. You can spray a baking sheet with non stick spray and then place them right on the sheet and bake.
So, I hope that covers a way that everyone can try these vegan tandoori spiced cauliflower wings, because they are pretty important, and necessary.
Vegan Tandoori Spiced Cauliflower Wings
For the Wings
- 1 head Cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/2 C. Almond milk or non dairy milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp. Lemon juice
- 1/2 C. Water
- 1 C. All purpose flour
- 1/4 C. Corn starch
- 1 Tbsp. Garam Masala
- 2 tsp. Smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. Salt
- A few pinches Beet powder or vegan red food coloring for color(optional)
- Light oil for frying
Curry Mustard Dip
- 1 C. Vegan mayo
- 2 tsp. Curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. Mustard, dry
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Make the dipping sauce if you plan to use it. Whisk together the mayo, curry powder, mustard and salt and pepper. Set in the fridge while you make the cauliflower wings.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the almond milk and lemon juice. Let sit for a minute. Then whisk in the water.
- Now whisk in the flour a little at a time, then the corn starch. Whisk until fully combined. Now add the garam masala, paprika, cayenne, salt and beet powder or food coloring if using. Stir to combine.
- Start heating about an inch of oil in a cast iron skillet or pot. Heat to about 325 degrees or so. Once the oil is hot, start dipping the cauliflower florets into the batter, coat completely. Add a few pieces of cauliflower to the oil at a time. Fry on each side for about 2-3 minutes until cooked through and crispy. Reduce heat as needed.
- Once they cauliflower is cooked through, scoop out and place on a paper towel. Repeat with all the cauliflower until it has all been fried. Serve immediately with dipping sauce if you like!