Ummmm…make these immediately.
Here in Florida, the fall weather is not exactly what I would like right now. The temperature was in the high 80’s yesterday with humidity of like 200%. However, starting in October of every year, I really start to crave some chili. These vegan taco chili pot pies are so insanely delicious, that even the unseasonably hot weather won’t stop me from devouring them! Vegan taco chili pot pies with a jalapeno cheddar corn bread crust are the greatest invention of all time, even better than the invention of the light bulb.
The protein of this particular perfect chili is tofu, black beans and kidney beans. Making it so protein packed, no naysayer can ever ask how you eat enough protein. There is also corn and jalapeno, and then TACO SEASONING! It is so freaking good. Tastes like a big ole bowl of taco filling!
It is also incredibly easy! While the chili simmers for a bit, you can whip up some incredible vegan jalapeno cheddar corn bread to put on top of this taco chili. It takes just a few minutes to throw together. Then you just scoop some chili into ramekins and top with the corn bread and bake until golden brown!
You can also bake in the pot you made it in, and just put scoops of corn bread on top and have like a corn bread dumpling situation! Or Smooth out the corn bread and make a large pot pie! Any way you want to make it, it will probably get devoured immediately!
I hope you have some nice fall weather where you are, because these vegan taco chili corn bread pot pies are very important. Some chilly weather and a chili pot pie are all I really need in life!
Vegan Taco Chili Corn Bread Pot Pies
- 1 Block Extra firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1/2 Yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
- 1 Jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 4 Tbsp. Taco seasoning, divided
- 15 oz. Can Corn
- 15 oz. Can Black beans
- 15 oz. Can Kidney beans
- 28 oz. Can Crushed tomatoes
- 1 C. Vegetable broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Jalapeno Cheddar Corn Bread
- 3/4 C. Cornmeal
- 1 1/4 C. All purpose flour
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 C. Almond milk
- 1 tsp. Apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Flax meal
- 3 Tbsp. Water
- 1/4 C. Agave nectar
- 1/4 C. Vegetable oil
- 1 Jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 C. Vegan cheddar style cheese
- First, press the tofu. Place the block of tofu on a paper towel, top with another paper towel, and place something heavy on top. Let sit while you get the rest going.
- Now, in a large pot, heat the olive oil on medium high. Then add the onions, garlic, and jalapeno. Saute, reducing heat as needed until the onions start to get translucent and soft. About 3-5 minutes.
- Now, add the tofu. Make sure a lot of the liquid has been pressed out. Then crumble the tofu into the pot. Break up any large pieces of tofu with a wooden spoon. Then stir. Saute with the veggies, stirring occasionally until the tofu is firm and a bit brown. About 5-7 minutes. Now season with a bit of salt and 1 Tablespoon of taco seasoning and save the rest.
- Now add the corn, and beans. Stir to combine. Then add the crushed tomatoes and veggie broth. Stir to combine. Now add the remaining taco seasoning. Stir. Reduce heat to low, and let simmer for about 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Now make the corn bread while the chili is cooking. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Let it sit for a minute so it thickens up and makes vegan buttermilk.
- Now in a small bowl make a flax egg by combining the flax and water. Whisk and let sit until it thickens.
- Now add the flax egg to the almond milk mixture, then add the agave and veggie oil. Whisk until completely combined. Now add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until fully combined. Now fold in the jalapeno and vegan cheese.
- Now fill ramekins about 2/3 full with taco chili. Then top with a scoop of corn bread. Make as many as you want. Then place on a baking sheet and into the oven. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Or until a tooth pick comes out of the corn bread clean. Serve immediately! All hot and bubbly and stuff.