Recently, my husband and I were discussing what flavor combinations we absolutely love. Chris mentioned the Take 5 candy bars that are chocolate filled with a pretzel, peanut butter and caramel. He is right, that is basically my idea candy bar or snack, sweet and salty, definitely with a pretzel involved. Trader Joe’s has one of the most epic snacks of all time as well, peanut butter filled pretzels! While in talks of making a fancier and healthier version of the Take 5 bar, I came up with, these Sweet n’ Salty Pretzel Brownies.
They can be made either gluten free and vegan, or just vegan, and I have instructions for both. Once you take your first bite of these, the heavens will part, and you will wonder how you lived without these beauties all your life. At least that is what happened to me. It is literally every flavor and texture that I want in a perfect snack or dessert.
The actually brownie batter makes a killer and super easy brownie on it’s own, but this combination is just to die for! I had to give some away just so I didn’t eat the whole pan by myself. They were kid approved, husband approved, family approved and friend approved. I feel like this is a great fall treat, or any time of the year.
Super fudgey, and moist, but still fluffy and not too heavy. Crunchy and creamy, sweet and salty. Oh my goodness, you will not be disappointed. I made a bit of a mess with these, I can not say they are a one bowl recipe, but I promise it is so worth it! Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens
- 1/2 c All purpose Flour or Gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 c Pretzels or Gluten free pretzels
- 1/2 c Brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Baking soda
- 1/2 c Vegan butter, I use Earth Balance(melted)
- 1 c Vegan butter, I use Earth Balance
- 2 c White sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 2 c All purpose flour or Gluten free all purpose flour (if using gluten free, add 2 tsp Xanthan gum)
- 3/4 c Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 1/2 c Almond milk
- 1 c Dark chocolate (melted)
- 1/2 c Peanut butter (melted)
- 1/2 c Vegan caramel sauce, store bought or you can use my Vegan coconut cream caramel
- Preheat oven to 350. In a food processor, combine crust ingredients, except vegan butter and pulse until pretzels are crushed into a semi fine consistency.
- Pour into medium sized mixing bowl, and pour melted vegan butter on top. Mix until fully combined and pour into a prepared 9×13 baking pan. Press crust down with a cup.
- Make the brownie batter. In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, cream together sugar and vegan butter, add vanilla. In a separate bowl sift the dry ingredients, flour, (xanthan gum if using) cocoa, and salt.
- Add the dry to the wet alternating with the almond milk until all combined.
- Pour batter over crust and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool, and melt dark chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals, then melt peanut butter in a separate bowl for 30 seconds.
- Once cooled, drizzle with chocolate, peanut butter and caramel. Eat em’ all!