I LOVE French toast. I think I have actually determined I’m obsessed with any moist bread confection. Bread pudding yes please. But when you can basically eat dessert for breakfast and it is totally socially acceptable, count me in. I wanted to give you guys a breakfast treat based off my absolute favorite summer dessert. This vegan strawberry shortcake baked French toast will not disappoint!
What You Need For This Perfect Summer Breakfast:
- Non-dairy Milk: I like using oat milk for this recipe, but any kind will do.
- Strawberry Jam: This is the perfect egg replacer that also gives the French toast flavor.
- Agave and Vanilla: For sweetness and flavor.
- All Purpose Flour: To help thicken the custard to dip your bread.
- Vegan Bread: Any fluffy or crusty bread that can be cut thick.
- Strawberries: To make your own fresh compote to go on top.
- Sugar, Lemon Juice and Cornstarch: To finish off your strawberry compote.
- Vegan Whipped Topping: I like to use TruWhip!
I pretty much can’t go back to making regular French toast after making baked French toast. This vegan strawberry shortcake baked French toast is soooooo easy to make. You just dip the bread, layer in a casserole dish and then bake. While the French toast bakes, you make the compote. That only takes a few minutes and is easy to finish before the French toast is done. Serve the French toast with the strawberry compote and vegan whipped topping dolloped on top! It truly is the best breakfast!
Why Should You Make This Vegan French Toast?
- It is so easy, just layered in a casserole dish and baked!
- This baked French toast tastes like summertime!
- The strawberry compote is so simple and tasty.
- Eating dessert for breakfast is the most brilliant idea ever.
- Kid and adult approved!
Vegan Strawberry Shortcake Baked French Toast
For The French Toast
- 2 Cups Non-dairy milk, unsweetened I used oat milk
- 1/4 Cup Agave syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
- 1/2 Cup Strawberry jam or preserves
- 3 Tablespoons All purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 Loaf(about 16oz) Thick vegan bread, I used Trader Joe's Vegan Brioche
- 3/4 Cups Vegan whipped topping, I used TruWhip Vegan
- 10 Ounces Strawberries, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Organic cane sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees(F).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk, agave, vanilla, strawberry jam, flour and salt until fully combined.
- Cut large slices of the loaf of bread if it isn't already cut and dip each slice into the wet mixture you made. Dip each side of the slice of bread and let it soak up some of the liquid.
- Layer each slice of bread in a 11×7 inch baking dish at a diagonal, up against each other. (Watch video if you want to see it)Repeat with all of the bread.
- Pour the remaining liquid over the top of the bread and bake for 40-45 or until the bread is firm and liquid is thick.
- While the French toast bakes, make the strawberry compote.
- In a medium sized saucepan, add the strawberries and sugar. Toss to combine and let sit for about 10 minutes. Juices will begin to form.
- Then heat the saucepan on medium high. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer until the strawberries are saucy and soft, about 10 minutes. Begin to smash some of the strawberries.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and lemon juice.
- Put the heat on low and add the cornstarch and lemon juice mixture. Whisk into the strawberries and let thicken for 1-2 minutes. Turn off the heat. Let cool.
- Once the French toast is done, scoop some onto a plate and top with some of the compote and some vegan whipped topping.