Spring is upon us, which means this is the start of my two favorite fruit seasons in a row. Spring and Summer are the times my favorite fruits are in season, cheap, juicy and itching to be used in some recipes! Strawberries and watermelon are the reigning champs in my love for fruit battle. I actually really like the cold weather, so fruits and veggies are really the only reason I look forward to Spring and Summer. These, vegan strawberry buttermilk biscuits are definitely sweetening the pot. Strawberries are every where right now, and I HAD to make something amazing with them!
These strawberry buttermilk biscuits taste like eating strawberry shortcake in an amazing handheld package! They are so easy and super fluffy, spread some vegan butter and bee free honee on them! Oh, man! The perfect breakfast(lunch, dinner or snack)! I also made some coconut whip and tried them with that, they are incredible!
Making vegan biscuits at home is so simple. I have actually had a few vegan biscuit experiences in restaurants that were not that pleasant, and I wonder what they are doing. The process is fool proof, it takes no time at all, so I wonder what the problem is. I actually had some really bad vegan biscuits just a few months ago, they were hard and chalky, and not even gluten free or anything. So if you feel intimidated because you have had a bad experience, do not fret. Anyone can make these beauties!
They store really well, so if you make these for weekend brunch, you can keep the rest in the fridge and toast them for breakfast throughout the week! My husband likes to grab one with a little peanut butter or almond butter for some protein in the morning and it makes it taste like pb&j!
Okay, guys, if you have a place to go pick fresh strawberries, I recommend it! If not, go forth to your local supermarket or farmer’s market and get some bushels! They are so perfect and juicy right now! Then make these, you won’t regret it! I hope you enjoy!
Vegan Strawberry Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2 1/2 C. All purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking soda
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- 6 Tbsp. Vegan butter, cold( I used Earth Balance)
- 1 C. Almond milk
- 1 tsp. Lemon juice
- 2 C. Strawberries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix the almond milk and lemon juice together and set aside to turn into vegan buttermilk.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour starting with 2 cups(you will add more later if needed), baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar. Whisk together.
- Cut the cold vegan butter into small chunks, and add to the dry ingredients, cut into the flour with a pastry cutter or fork until the butter is small pea sized.
- Stir in the chopped strawberries, then pour the vegan buttermilk into the center, stir until fully combined. If the dough is still sticky, add the remaining 1/2 cup of flour a little at a time until the dough isn't sticky.
- Turn out on to a floured surface, and form into a circle about an 1 and 1/2 inches thick. Cut with a circle biscuit cutter or whatever circle you have on hand. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10-13 minutes. You can brush the tops of the biscuits with a little vegan butter to help brown them. Serve with vegan butter and bee free honee!