Better than take out!
I will admit, after a long day, sometimes I will order some Chinese take out. However, this vegan sticky lemon tofu just made it a lot easier to skip the take out. This sticky lemon tofu is not only pretty much as easy and as fast as ordering take out. It is much healthier and of course then you know it is totally plant based! Baked, crispy tofu cubes, tossed in a sticky, sweet and tangy Asian lemon sauce.
Serve this tofu with rice and/or veggies. It is so amazing, so addictive, I can’t stop eating it. It is also great for lunch the next day! This lemon sauce is nice and sweet, but refined sugar free. It is also not overly sweet as it is well balanced with lemon juice and soy sauce.
If you want your tofu to be even crispier, you can definitely toss the cubes in corn starch and fry them. However, I thought I would go a more oil free direction with this one and bake it until brown and crispy. If you bake the tofu long enough at a high temperature, it actually gets super crisp, brown and puffy! It is so good!
Then all you have to do it whip up the sauce in a wok or sauce pan, then toss with the tofu. Add some sides, and you have one totally amazing meal. With very little effort, and it is much cheaper than take out too! My whole family loves vegan sticky lemon tofu night!
Vegan Sticky Lemon Tofu
- Press the tofu before hand. I like to press it for a few hours, but press it for at least 15 minutes. When ready, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the block of tofu into cubes, and toss in the olive oil and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Then place each tofu cube in a single layer on a sheet pan.
- Bake the tofu at 425 degrees for 30-40 minutes, flipping half way through baking, until the tofu is nice and brown and crispy.
- While the tofu is baking, make the lemon sauce. You can wait about 10 minutes or so, because the sauce will only take a few minutes. I like to use a wok, so I can toss the tofu in the sauce.
- Heat a wok or sauce pan on medium high, then add the soy sauce, agave, lemon juice, and veggie broth. Whisk to combine.
- Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium low. Then whisk the corn starch and water together in a small bowl. Then, add it to the sauce. Whisk to combine.
- Simmer on low for a minute or 2, continuing to whisk, until the sauce is nice and thick. Stir in the lemon zest. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add a splash more soy sauce if it needs salt, or a bit more agave for sweetness, or a squeeze more lemon if needed. Keep hot on low until the tofu is done.
- Once the tofu is brown and crisp, add the tofu to the pan, and toss in the sauce, coating all the tofu.
- Serve immediately with rice and/or veggies.