Split peas, no longer just for soup.
Right now, you may be thinking, split pea steaks? What the HE double hockey sticks are you talking about? Also, how? And why? Well, here is the scoop: Split peas have a lot of protein in them, and they are really good for you. Also, turns out they make a super delicious meat replacement and taste so dang good with caramelized onions and white BBQ sauce. Which I recommend serving them with! These vegan split pea steak sandwiches with caramelized onions and white BBQ will leave you wondering why you ever questioned going vegan!
These split pea steaks are surprisingly easy. Take only a few minutes to throw together once the split peas are prepped. Then they are baked, so ya know, way less work for you. Just put into the oven and make the onions and sauce while the steaks are baking! Yay!
These vegan split pea steak sandwiches are the best thing ever, seriously. The split pea steaks are the best texture for a seitan like food item I have ever had. They are firm, but not too firm. I have found with a lot of recipes using vital wheat gluten, that they are too mushy on the inside. Not these babies, they make the perfect steak sandwich.
I highly recommend not skipping the caramelized onions or white BBQ sauce. They definitely are the best friends of these split pea steaks! Once you taste the entire sandwich all put together, you will be all like “dang, why isn’t everyone eating this?”
So, to summarize, vegan split pea steak sandwiches= the best steak sandwiches. This recipe makes enough for 5-6 sandwiches, so you can share with friends. The steaks also reheat really nicely, so if you are just cooking for one, you can have them for lunch and dinner all week! Or breakfast and dessert, no judgement here!
Vegan Split Pea Steak Sandwiches
Split Pea Steaks
- 2 C. Cooked split peas
- 1 C. Vital wheat gluten
- 1 C. Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 C. Soy sauce
- 1/2 C. Vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. Liquid smoke
- 2 Tbsp. Nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. Olive oil
- 1 tsp. Steak seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black pepper
- 1 Sweet onion, sliced really thin
- 2 tsp. Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Agave
- pinch of salt
White BBQ Sauce
- 3/4 C. Vegan mayo
- 2 Tbsp. Water
- 2 Tbsp. Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. Mustard
- 1/2 tsp. Horseradish
- 1/2 tsp. Agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Coarse black pepper
- Vegan Rolls
- Make the "steaks". First cook the split peas according to the package. You need 2 cups of cooked split peas, so I cooked about 1 cup of dried split peas. Once they are cooked through, and soft enough to mash, drain them, measure 2 cups and place them in a large mixing bowl, and mash the peas with a fork or a potato masher. Mash until the peas are all mashed.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Then add all of the remaining ingredients for the "steaks" to the mixing bowl. Start to stir to combine, then once the wet and dry start to combine, begin to knead with your hands. Knead the split pea mixture until it is nice and firm. About 2-4 minutes(the longer you knead the mixture the firmer it will be)
- Now spray a baking sheet with non stick spray.
- Then form the split pea mixture into "steaks". Take a large ball of the mixture(however large you want the steaks), then flatten into a steak, and kind of elongate them.
- Repeat until all the mixture has been used, then place them on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees, then flip the steaks and bake for another 10-15 minutes until they are nice and firm and a bit brown.
- While the steaks are baking, make the onions and sauce.
- In a cast iron or non stick skillet, heat the olive oil for the onions on medium low. Saute, reducing heat as needed until the onions start to get brown. Then add the agave and a pinch of salt. Continue to saute until they are nice and caramel colored. It may take 10 minutes or so. Remove from heat.
- Now make the BBQ sauce. Add all the BBQ sauce ingredients to a small mixing bowl, whisk to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Once the steaks are cooked, place some BBQ sauce on one side of the roll, then split pea steak, then onions, then arugula, then more sauce. Serve immediately!