A few years ago, a friend introduced me to a potato salad that was so out of control delicious, that I could never get it out of my head. The original recipe was not vegan, but my friend used vegan mayo to make it so, just for me. It was a spicy fried potato salad, and neither of us can find the original recipe. So, I made a version reminiscent of the one I had many years ago. This vegan spicy smashed potato salad is hands down, the best potato salad you will ever eat.
I changed it a lot from the original, and frankly don’t exactly remember what was all in that one, but I have put together something so perfect, that it doesn’t matter that I had no reference material in front of me. The one she made was also fried, and I decided to bake my potatoes instead, making it even better for you.
So, this freaking delicious potato salad is unlike any others I have had. It is a spicy vegan mayo base with smoked paprika and lime! The potatoes are boiled, then smashed and then baked until crisp! Tossed in the best damn sauce ever. It is so not boring. My parents used to make boring old fashioned potato salad, and I hated it. I promise, this is not your Momma’s potato salad!
The spiciness comes from sriracha, which I am in love with. Is sriracha still hip? I don’t really know, and I don’t really care. That mixed with vegan mayo, lime juice, smoked paprika and a wee bit of agave make the most perfect sauce ever. Mix it with the smashed potatoes, and toss with green onions and then prepare for LITERALLY the best potato salad ever. Not just vegan, but better than all other potato salads.
You can use whatever your favorite brand of vegan mayo is. I recently tried the Helmans’ and it is damn good. But I am always into Follow Your Heart products, and Hampton Creek! What is your favorite brand of vegan mayo? Let me know if I am missing out on something!
Spring is here, cookouts will commence soonish. Be prepared to take everyone down a peg when you serve the best thing ever! I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!
Vegan Spicy Smashed Potato Salad
- Place the baby potatoes in a large pot of water. Bring to a boil and reduce so it is just bubbling slightly. Boil until the potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes. Just check frequently with a fork to see when they are ready.
- Once the potatoes are tender, drain, and place potatoes onto a baking sheet. Toss with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Then smash each baby potato with the bottom of a cup, just slightly so they still hold their form.
- Broil potatoes on high for 10-15 minutes, (keeping your eye on them so they don't burn) until they are brown and crispy.
- Let cool for about 15-20 minutes, you can place in the fridge to speed up the process. Once cooled quite a bit, place the potatoes into a mixing bowl, add the remaining ingredients, and stir everything together.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve warm or chill and serve. It is delicious both ways!